Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by "Kyle Crumpton (kcrumpto)" <kc...@cisco.com> on 2013/12/19 19:45:38 UTC

Way to bind qpid to a different IP?

I am just curious if there is a way to bind qpid to an IP such as 127.1.244.129

The reason I ask is I'm looking to deploy many instances to a PaaS and will need multiple running instances. This is not possible if everything tries to bind to localhost:8080.

Does anyone know of a way to configure this? I could not find in the qpid documentation.

Re: Way to bind qpid to a different IP?

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
It is not currently possible to specify an interface for the Java brokers
HTTP ports to bind (though it could be made possible...), it is only
possible to specify the port number currently. It does not bind just
localhost, it will listen on all interfaces.

Same for the JMX ports (though with the subtle restriction that even though
it listens on all interfaces JMX itself only supports advertising a single
ip/host for the JMXConnectorServer stub, without performing some extreme
compatibility-breaking hackery that is).

It is possible to configure an interface for the AMQP ports...

...I'm going to stop now as I see Rob and Keith have said everything I was
planning on. Thanks :)

Robbie

Posted by "Kyle Crumpton (kcrumpto)" <kc...@cisco.com>.

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kyle,

the Java Broker uses a number of different ports, depending on which
plugins are enabled.  If I remember correctly there are some ports which
can be bound to only certain interfaces, but others (HTTP and JMX
management) which we cannot so restrict. As well as port conflicts you are
going to want to ensure that if you are running multiple broker instances
on the same server, each has its own locations for config files, password
files, etc.

The Java Broker stores all its configuration in a config file
${qpid.work_dir}/config.json (where ${qpid.work_dir} is the user's home
directory by default).  The initial broker config is taken from a template
inside the broker binaries and ultimately from static defaults (for things
like the HTTP management port being 8080).

The following sections of the documentation are probably useful here:

http://qpid.apache.org/releases/qpid-0.22/java-broker/book/Java-Broker-Getting-Started-CommandLine.html
http://qpid.apache.org/releases/qpid-0.22/java-broker/book/Java-Broker-Configuring-And-Managing.html#Java-Broker-Configuring-And-Managing-Configuration-Store

Using the above you should be able to see how you can create configurations
so that you avoid port number clashes.

For binding on the same port, this is possible for the AMQP port, but not
for management (JMX or HTTP)... So you'd either need to disable these
plugins (and have no easy way to manage your broker) or have different
ports for each interface.

For the AMQP port you need to set the bindingAddress parameter for the
port, e.g.:

{
    "authenticationProvider" : "passwordFile",
    "bindingAddress" : "192.168.105.83",
    "id" : "7236a3e5-9e74-440b-888b-2fdfcbe21695",
    "name" : "AMQP",
    "port" : 5672
  }

is how that section looks in my config file right now on one broker I'm
running, while the other broker instance had a different bindingAddress.

I'm aware of people who are doing similar things for PaaS type
infrastructures who basically use a template initial config and then write
out different concrete values for the ports/etc for the initial config file
to be used for each new instance of a broker that is created.  After you'd
run your script to genearte the template for the new instance, you'd then
start up the broker with the --initial-config-path option to point at your
newly generated template. You might also want to consider other aspects
you's want in your initial config (such as authentication mechanisms, etc.).

I'm not sure whether there's any way we can fix the HTTP or JMX ports in
future ... possibly more of a chance with the HTTP management... but I'd
need to look into how jetty does its binding.

Hope this helps,
Rob

(As an aside: one enhancement here that would be really useful for these
PaaS scenarios (and I know someone raised a JIRA for it previously) is to
have some sort of mDNS registration in the broker so that a new instance's
ports could be resolved by name rather than having to add a separate
mechanism to propogoate the port numbers in use by an instance to clients
which wish to connect... however that doesn't exist yet).

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
I think Rob might have applied that patch on trunk yesterday, if so it
should now be in the latest nightly broker release archive at:
https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Qpid/job/Qpid-Java-Artefact-Release/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/trunk/qpid/java/broker/release/

Alternatively, you can build your own verison by running 'ant release-bin'
(adding -Doptional=true if you want the optional bdbstore included) in
qpid/java and then looking in qpid/java/broker/release

qpid-all.jar is an [annoyingly named] manifest jar, it has no code in it
and I can believe it probably doenst have the main-file set. As Rob
suggests, you can start the broker using the scripts.

Although it wont account for this new addition, you might find the the
broker docs useful at:
http://qpid.apache.org/releases/qpid-0.24/java-broker/book/index.html

Robbie

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
So, when I'm developing I normally just start up the broker with

build/bin/qpid-server

from the qpid/java root.

>From there you can either configure the IP through the config file or using
the web UI for the server.  The difference is that the HTTP port should now
allow binding address as an option (as the AMQP port does).  As previously
this isn't going to fix the JMX port, so JMS management will have to be
disabled.

Hope this helps,
Rob

Posted by "Kyle Crumpton (kcrumpto)" <kc...@cisco.com>.
Hi Rob,

Thank you a bunch I'm going to give this a try.

Posted by "Kyle Crumpton (kcrumpto)" <kc...@cisco.com>.

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
I've created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-5437 and attached a
quick patch to allow for HTTP ports to be bound to a speicifc address in
the same way that AMQP ports are.  The patch is against the head of trunk
rather than 0.22, though I don't imagine it'd be too difficult to get it to

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Kyle Crumpton (kcrumpto)" <kc...@cisco.com>.
Hi Keith, Rob.