Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Dave MacLean <Da...@businessobjects.com> on 2006/09/28 20:55:05 UTC

[axis2] ADB Features - Any info on what's working and what isn't?

Hi there,
We have been using Axis2 with xmlbeans for the last little while, but
the huge change in generated code structure (from axis 1.1) is causing
some users of our consumer code to complain (for instance,
"type.Factory.newInstance()" instead of "new type()" - when you consider
large applications, the migration for the users can be quite extensive).
We originally went with xmlbeans because when 0.95 was release adb had a
lot of missing features.

Our WSDLs are fairly complex (lots of type restrictions/extensions,
import statements, and a lot of type inheritance).  I was wondering if
there is an updated list anywhere of what is working with ADB and what
still needs to be done.  I ran our WSDLs through wsdl2java and for the
most part things are looking better (at least generation-wise, but I
couldn't get far enough along to actually test
serialization/deserialization), but there are still a few problems.  I
can submit bugs and such, but due to deadlines we really need to make a
decision in the very short term on whether we will have to stick it out
with xmlbeans or whether ADB will be good enough to use and ship with.

Does anyone know if there is an easy way to figure out what work still
needs to be done on ADB, and when approximately it is planned to be
finished? (maybe a task list for ADB work, with task dates, etc...does
such a thing exist?)  ADB would really be ideal since the generated code
would mean very little updating for users who just drop in consumer jars
to update (we do rpc param wrapping, so the document wrapping style
isn't a problem).

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Re: [axis2] ADB Features - Any info on what's working and what isn't?

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Dave,

Known missing features from w2j codegen-wise:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-1092
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-983
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-1093

We've made good progress w.r.t codegen. Any help from you w.r.t
serialization/de-serialization would be awesome!. Please check the
issues list for known runtime issues.

thanks,
dims