Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jorge Medina <jm...@e-dialog.com> on 2008/07/03 19:01:02 UTC

[users@httpd] Running a cluster of Apache

Hi,

  I want to run an application in a cluster of apache servers, all of
them accessible at the same URL.

  I also want to use SSL.

Is it possible to use the same ServerName for all the servers in my
cluster? Would SSL work? Or

Do I need to define a <VirtualHost> and put the certificate and key
under this host?

Thanks

-Jorge

Re: [users@httpd] Running a cluster of Apache

Posted by Torsten Foertsch <to...@gmx.net>.
On Thu 03 Jul 2008, Jorge Medina wrote:
> Can I use a ServerName (services.mydomain.com) that does not match the name
> of the server

Yes, and you can of course use the same certificate for all servers.

Torsten

--
Need professional mod_perl support?
Just hire me: torsten.foertsch@gmx.net

Re: [users@httpd] Running a cluster of Apache

Posted by Carlos Eduardo Maiolino <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hey, how are you Jorge ?

I think that the Round Robin, is a good idea to solve your problem, but it's
configurate in the DNS entrys of this domain:

Look:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_robin_DNS

Is a good Idea that the nodes on the "web cluster" access de same files, for
example, a storage, or a NFS Server, exporting the web content (is the
cheaper than storage and functional ;) )

Ask me if you have any questions...

See you

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 2:20 PM, Jorge Medina <jm...@e-dialog.com> wrote:

> I think I should add more details:
>
> Lets assume that I have a cluster of machines running Apache:
>        webapp0.eng.mydomain.com
>        webapp1.eng.mydomain.com
>        webapp2.eng.mydomain.com
>        webappN.eng.mydomain.com
>
> All of those instances of Apache are front-ended by a load balancer (a
> switch) that redirects all requests to services.mydomain.com to a member
> of the cluster.
>
> But, if the communication is HTTP over SSL, what configuration is required
> so that the same certificate issued to services.mydomain.com can be used
> by all member of the cluster? Can I use a ServerName (
> services.mydomain.com) that does not match the name of the server (
> webappX.eng.mydomain.com)? Or do I require a <VirtualHost> entry?
>
> Thank you.

Att.
--
Carlos Eduardo Maiolino

RE: [users@httpd] Running a cluster of Apache

Posted by Jorge Medina <jm...@e-dialog.com>.
I think I should add more details:

Lets assume that I have a cluster of machines running Apache:
	webapp0.eng.mydomain.com
	webapp1.eng.mydomain.com
	webapp2.eng.mydomain.com
	webappN.eng.mydomain.com

All of those instances of Apache are front-ended by a load balancer (a switch) that redirects all requests to services.mydomain.com to a member of the cluster.

But, if the communication is HTTP over SSL, what configuration is required so that the same certificate issued to services.mydomain.com can be used by all member of the cluster? Can I use a ServerName (services.mydomain.com) that does not match the name of the server (webappX.eng.mydomain.com)? Or do I require a <VirtualHost> entry?

Thank you.