Posted to xmlbeans-user@xml.apache.org by "Katzman, Anatoly" <An...@bmc.com> on 2003/12/08 06:16:49 UTC

Validation with XMLBeans

Hi,

I am currently evaluating XMLBeans (as it is available at Apache).
It looks great and surpasses all the countepart technologies, but one thing
makes me frustrated - its validation capabilities.
It is probably my mistake; I would really appreciate your help in finding it
out.

I started with a schema that defined an element of a complex type, let's
name it MyElement.
Then I compiled it with XMLBeans and got two Java classes: bean MyElement
and its document MyElementDocument.
I am now trying to validate instances of the MyElement class (after I
populated it with some values) like following:

	XmlOptions opts = new XmlOptions();
        	opts.setValidateOnSet();
       	List errors = new ArrayList();
        	opts.setErrorListener( errors);

	MyElementDocument doc = MyElementDocument.Factory.newInstance(
opts);
	MyElement obj = doc.addNewMyElement();
	obj.add....
	obj.set...

	boolean isValid = obj.validate( opts);
	if (isValid) {
            	System.out.println ("valid");
        	} else {

            	for (int i = 0; i < errors.size(); i++)  {
	            	XmlError error = (XmlError)errors.get(i);
                		XmlCursor cursor =
error.getCursorLocation();
                		System.out.println (cursor.xmlText() +
"\n");
            	}
        	}

Indeed, the object is invalid against the schema, and I expect the error
message to pinpoint the cause of the problem.
Instead, the error text reads:
	<xml-fragment/>
and this is little bit vague.

So, can I do better to have more descriptive validation messages?

Thank you,

Anatoly Katzman