Posted to dev@batchee.apache.org by "Tiburtius, Ashwanth" <as...@iwd.iowa.gov> on 2017/03/16 18:45:21 UTC

Restart after a Decision Stop is not working

Hello team,

Our team is using the 0.4-incubating version of Apache BatchEE. I am doing
a POC on JavaEE Batch before we move our batch implementation from
Websphere to Tomee. Following is the JSL I am working on. It looks like
when the class MyDecider returns "foobar2", the exit status is successfully
set to "foobar3" but step3 is not getting invoked. My understanding is that
step3 will be invoked automatically by the batch implementation. It would
be very helpful to know if my understanding is incorrect or if there is a
bug.

JSL:
<job id="bigbangdecision" xmlns="http://xmlns.jcp.org/xml/ns/javaee"
    xsi:schemaLocation="http://xmlns.jcp.org/xml/ns/javaee
http://xmlns.jcp.org/xml/ns/javaee/jobXML_1_0.xsd" version="1.0">
    <step id="step1" next="decider1">
        <batchlet ref="myBatchlet1"/>
    </step>
    <decision id="decider1" ref="myDecider">
        <next on="foobar" to="step3"/>
        *<stop on="foobar2" exit-status="foobar3" restart="step3"/>*
    </decision>
    <step id="step2">
        <batchlet ref="myBatchlet2"/>
    </step>
    <step id="step3">
        <batchlet ref="myBatchlet3"/>
    </step>
</job>

Also, requesting information on the following:

1) When can be expect a full release of the BatchEE project?
2) Would you recommend us using the 0.4-incubating project until then?

Thank you for your response. Really appreciate your time.

Thanks,
Jude.
IWD - IT
ashwanth.tiburtius@iwd.iowa.gov
Ph: 515-281-3378

An Equal Opportunity Employer/Program
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request for individuals with
disabilities.

Re: Restart after a Decision Stop is not working

Posted by Reinhard Sandtner <re...@gmail.com>.
Hey,

i think you’ve found a bug… i can investigate it tomorrow - currently have some $dayjob$ things to do...

would be great if you can create an issue in our bug tracker https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BATCHEE <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BATCHEE> (otherwise i can do it tomorrow)

if you can provide a/your sample it would also be a great help so i can move it to an unit test ;)

> Am 16.03.2017 um 19:45 schrieb Tiburtius, Ashwanth <as...@iwd.iowa.gov>:
>
> Hello team,
>
> Our team is using the 0.4-incubating version of Apache BatchEE. I am doing
> a POC on JavaEE Batch before we move our batch implementation from
> Websphere to Tomee. Following is the JSL I am working on. It looks like
> when the class MyDecider returns "foobar2", the exit status is successfully
> set to "foobar3" but step3 is not getting invoked. My understanding is that
> step3 will be invoked automatically by the batch implementation. It would
> be very helpful to know if my understanding is incorrect or if there is a
> bug.
>
> JSL:
> <job id="bigbangdecision" xmlns="http://xmlns.jcp.org/xml/ns/javaee"
>    xsi:schemaLocation="http://xmlns.jcp.org/xml/ns/javaee
> http://xmlns.jcp.org/xml/ns/javaee/jobXML_1_0.xsd" version="1.0">
>    <step id="step1" next="decider1">
>        <batchlet ref="myBatchlet1"/>
>    </step>
>    <decision id="decider1" ref="myDecider">
>        <next on="foobar" to="step3"/>
>        *<stop on="foobar2" exit-status="foobar3" restart="step3"/>*
>    </decision>
>    <step id="step2">
>        <batchlet ref="myBatchlet2"/>
>    </step>
>    <step id="step3">
>        <batchlet ref="myBatchlet3"/>
>    </step>
> </job>
>
> Also, requesting information on the following:
>
> 1) When can be expect a full release of the BatchEE project?

hm afaik there is currently nothing that will block us but still not our focus yet - happy to hear what others think??

> 2) Would you recommend us using the 0.4-incubating project until then?

i’ve used BatchEE-incubator in production in my previous project on Websphere 8.5 and TomEE with JavaEE 6 and currently using it on JBoss EAP 6 and some parts of BatchEE with wildfly-10.1 and JBoss EAP 7. so from my point of view -> YES you can use it ;)

Posted by Reinhard Sandtner <re...@gmail.com>.
Hey,

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> transaction. I would like to enable container managed transaction in
> batchee. The persistence unit configured in my project is of transaction
> type "JTA" and I have the following entries in my batchee.properties. But I
> am getting an exception that tells me that I need to use "RESOURCE_LOCAL"
> transaction type instead. How can I turn on jta?
>
> batchee.properties:
> PersistenceManagerService=org.apache.batchee.container.
> services.persistence.JPAPersistenceManagerService
> persistence.jpa.unit-name=UIBatch
>
> persistence.xml:
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <persistence version="2.0"
>    xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence" xmlns:xsi="
> http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
>    xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence
> http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence/persistence_2_0.xsd">
>    <persistence-unit name="UIBatch" transaction-type="JTA">
>       <provider>org.eclipse.persistence.jpa.PersistenceProvider</provider>
>       <jta-data-source>atiburtiusJta</jta-data-source>
>       <non-jta-data-source>atiburtius</non-jta-data-source>
>       <mapping-file>META-INF/orm.xml</mapping-file>
>       <class>gov.iowa.wd.ui.tax.batch.entity.Person</class>
>       <properties>
>          <property name="eclipselink.logging.logger" value="ServerLogger"
> />
>          <property name="eclipselink.logging.parameters" value="true" />
>          <!--  property name="eclipselink.logging.level.sql" value="FINE"
> / -->
>       </properties>
>    </persistence-unit>
> </persistence>
>
> Exception:
> Apr 10, 2017 12:10:26 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve
> invoke
> SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet [faces] in context with path
> [/UIBatch] threw exception [javax.batch.operations.JobStartException:
> java.lang.IllegalStateException:
> Exception Description: Cannot use an EntityTransaction while using JTA.]
> with root cause
> java.lang.IllegalStateException:
> Exception Description: Cannot use an EntityTransaction while using JTA.
> at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.jpa.transaction.JTATransactionWrapper.
> getTransaction(JTATransactionWrapper.java:65)
> at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.jpa.EntityManagerImpl.getTransaction(
> EntityManagerImpl.java:1233)
> at org.apache.batchee.container.services.persistence.jpa.provider.
> DefaultTransactionProvider.start(DefaultTransactionProvider.java:28)
> at org.apache.batchee.container.services.persistence.
> JPAPersistenceManagerService.createJobInstance(
> JPAPersistenceManagerService.java:643)
>
> Also is there documentation available as to how the db tables should be
> setup? I was hoping that "persistence.database.ddl=create" property would
> create the tables but I couldnt get that far because of the above error.

Before explaining how to do let me put a warning: if you integrate batchee
transactions with the container and use an EJB in your batch then you can
rollback batchee state and loose some jbatch monitoring since you will
share the same transactions.

That said if you still want you can set persistence.jpa.ee=true

Then just use the JPA provider DDLs in your persistence unit.

> Since documentation in general seems to be scarce for BatchEE project in
> Apache website, do you recommend any other source where I would get
> additional information from - code samples, projects using batchee etc.?

I'm not sure we have a full documentation of all properties, in particular
of JPA with JTA since it is not a recommanded mode for the previously
explained reason. If you want to help to update the website you are more
than welcomed and I would be very happy to help you to find any info you
can miss. We just use some markdown files at
https://github.com/apache/incubator-batchee/tree/master/src/site/markdown
so should be easy to add content if you are motivated :)

Posted by "Tiburtius, Ashwanth" <as...@iwd.iowa.gov>.
Hi Romain,

[...]

-->
[...]

org.apache.batchee.container.services.persistence.JPAPersistenceManagerService.createJobInstance(JPAPersistenceManagerService.java:643)

Posted by "Tiburtius, Ashwanth" <as...@iwd.iowa.gov>.
Thank you Romain for your response.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Scott Kurz <sk...@gmail.com>.
That seems to be working as designed.

Since your decision is:

 <decision id="decider1" ref="myDecider">
        <next on="foobar" to="step3"/>
        *<stop on="foobar2" exit-status="foobar3" restart="step3"/>*
    </decision>

and since MyDecider returns "foobar2", the current job execution will stop
with the job-level exit status will
be set to "foobar3".   The last step, "step3" would not get invoked.

When the job is restarted, however, it will begin execution at "step3", as
opposed to beginning transitioning at step1 (which may lead to it stopping
in the same manner, or to running step 2 first, etc.).

Why would you expect step3 to get invoked?
Scott