Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Walters, I (Iestyn) " <I....@rl.ac.uk> on 2004/05/21 10:53:17 UTC

Enhancement: "--version" option hard to find

Hmmmm, what version of svn am I using? (1.0.3 actually.)

"svn help" didn't reveal any useful information. The book
mentions "--version." Going back to the executable, there does
seem to be some help text inside mentioning this option, but how
do I get svn to print it out?.  Googling & poking around the
source, I find the information available under "svn help help."

1. This is wrong -- "svn help --version" produces the same result
   as "svn help help". "svn --version" is required.

2. It's pretty hard to find the option "--version" via svn help.

3. Things like "svn info -v" print an error ("subcommand 'info'
   doesn't accept option '-v [--verbose]'), but "svn info
   --version" simply prints the help for svn info.

Thanks for the work guys, I can't express how nice it is to be
free of cvs.
--
Iestyn Walters /// mailto:i.walters@rl.ac.uk
CCLRC e-Science Centre, RAL, UK. OX11 0QX

Re: Enhancement: "--version" option hard to find

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
"C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net> writes:
>    Valid options:
>      --version                : print client version info
>      -q [--quiet]             : print as little as possible
>      --config-dir arg         : read user configuration files from directory ARG

Yes, but 'svn help --version' prints exactly the same thing as 'svn
help help', which isn't exactly what we want.  And there's still no
way to find out that 'svn --version' is a command.

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
kfogel@collab.net writes:

> CC'ing dev@ for thoughts on how to fix.  Maybe 'svn help' should print
> out one last line, saying
>
>    "Run 'svn help --options' for a complete list of options and  which
>    subcommands they work with."
>
> ...and then we implement that?

I think that 'svn help' should just print the list of options that the
'help' subcommand accepts, just like every other subcommand's help
output does:

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.

"Walters, I (Iestyn) " <I....@rl.ac.uk> writes:
> Hmmmm, what version of svn am I using? (1.0.3 actually.)
>
> "svn help" didn't reveal any useful information. The book
> mentions "--version." Going back to the executable, there does
> seem to be some help text inside mentioning this option, but how
> do I get svn to print it out?.  Googling & poking around the
> source, I find the information available under "svn help help."
>
> 1. This is wrong -- "svn help --version" produces the same result
>    as "svn help help". "svn --version" is required.
>
> 2. It's pretty hard to find the option "--version" via svn help.
>
> 3. Things like "svn info -v" print an error ("subcommand 'info'
>    doesn't accept option '-v [--verbose]'), but "svn info
>    --version" simply prints the help for svn info.

I think the general problem is that we don't have a way to list all
options.  The --version option is one of the few that works with no
subcommand, too.

CC'ing dev@ for thoughts on how to fix.  Maybe 'svn help' should print
out one last line, saying

   "Run 'svn help --options' for a complete list of options and  which
   subcommands they work with."

...and then we implement that?

> Thanks for the work guys, I can't express how nice it is to be
> free of cvs.

Glad to hear it!

-Karl

Re: Enhancement: "--version" option hard to find

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
"Walters, I (Iestyn) " <I....@rl.ac.uk> writes:
> Hmmmm, what version of svn am I using? (1.0.3 actually.)
>
> "svn help" didn't reveal any useful information. The book
> mentions "--version." Going back to the executable, there does
> seem to be some help text inside mentioning this option, but how
> do I get svn to print it out?.  Googling & poking around the
> source, I find the information available under "svn help help."
>
> 1. This is wrong -- "svn help --version" produces the same result
>    as "svn help help". "svn --version" is required.
>
> 2. It's pretty hard to find the option "--version" via svn help.
>
> 3. Things like "svn info -v" print an error ("subcommand 'info'
>    doesn't accept option '-v [--verbose]'), but "svn info
>    --version" simply prints the help for svn info.

I think the general problem is that we don't have a way to list all
options.  The --version option is one of the few that works with no
subcommand, too.

CC'ing dev@ for thoughts on how to fix.  Maybe 'svn help' should print
out one last line, saying

   "Run 'svn help --options' for a complete list of options and  which
   subcommands they work with."

...and then we implement that?

> Thanks for the work guys, I can't express how nice it is to be
> free of cvs.

Glad to hear it!

-Karl