Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Phil Adams <pa...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/19 05:02:40 UTC

Struts2 threading in a Java EE application server environment

Hi,
I'm trying to help a customer that is using Struts2 within a Java
EE-compliant application server.  Unfortunately, I have no real
experience with Struts2 so I was hoping someone on this mailing list
could offer some help.

The main issue that I'm dealing with is this...   An HTTP request is
received by the app server's servlet container and because of the
configuration inside the webapp's web.xml file, struts2 is invoking an
action class's "execute()" method, but it appears to be doing this on
a "new" thread (i.e. a thread other than the servlet container's
"worker" thread).

First of all, is this normal and expected?   If so, is it controllable
by the user via some sort of configuration?      Also, how does the
struts2 framework deal with thread context information?
Specifically, when creating new threads in a Java EE environment, the
thread context information needs to be copied from the original thread
to the new thread, otherwise various Java EE components will have
unpredictable results.

Thanks in advance for any help!

--
Phil Adams

Re: Struts2 threading in a Java EE application server environment

Posted by Phil Adams <pa...@gmail.com>.
Sorry, I thought this question would be best directed to developers of
the struts2 framework itself, rather than users of the framework...
hence my (apparently incorrect) choice of mailing list :(

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 10:08 PM, Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 8:02 PM, Phil Adams <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm trying to help a customer that is using Struts2 within a Java
>> EE-compliant application server.  Unfortunately, I have no real
>> experience with Struts2 so I was hoping someone on this mailing list
>> could offer some help.
>
> You want the user list, rather than the dev list. The former is for
> assistance with using Struts, which is what you're looking for. The
> latter is for discussion of the development of the framework itself.
>
> http://struts.apache.org/mail.html
>
> --
> Martin Cooper
>

>> The main issue that I'm dealing with is this...   An HTTP request is
>> received by the app server's servlet container and because of the
>> configuration inside the webapp's web.xml file, struts2 is invoking an
>> action class's "execute()" method, but it appears to be doing this on
>> a "new" thread (i.e. a thread other than the servlet container's
>> "worker" thread).
>>
>> First of all, is this normal and expected?   If so, is it controllable
>> by the user via some sort of configuration?      Also, how does the
>> struts2 framework deal with thread context information?
>> Specifically, when creating new threads in a Java EE environment, the
>> thread context information needs to be copied from the original thread
>> to the new thread, otherwise various Java EE components will have
>> unpredictable results.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any help!
>>
>> --
>> Phil Adams

Phil Adams
Cedar Park, TX

Re: Struts2 threading in a Java EE application server environment

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.