Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by kk...@poczta.wp.pl on 2011/09/01 09:51:14 UTC

Tomcat does not generate catalina.out file when starting as service.

Hello,
I am having following issue:
When I am starting Tomcat (5.5.30) as Windows service all the log files (admin.log, jakarta_service.log, localhost.log, stdout.log and stderr.log) are generated except catalina.out file.
This issue does not happen when I use the script which starts "%CATALINA_HOME%"\bin\startup.bat.
Moreover this happens only on one machine (production env).

Here are Java options set in tomcatw.exe:
-Dcatalina.base=E:\Rational\Jazz\JazzTeamServer3\server\tomcat
-Dcatalina.home=E:\Rational\Jazz\JazzTeamServer3\server\tomcat
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=E:\Rational\Jazz\JazzTeamServer3\server\tomcat\common\endorsed
-Djava.io.tmpdir=E:\Rational\Jazz\JazzTeamServer3\server\tomcat\temp
-Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=E:\Rational\Jazz\JazzTeamServer3\tomcat\conf\logging.properties
-Duser.language=en
-Duser.country=US
-Djava.awt.headless=true
-DJAZZ_HOME=file:///e:/Rational/Jazz/JazzTeamServer3/server/conf
-DORACLE_JDBC=E:\Rational\Jazz\JazzTeamServer3\server\oracle
-Dlog4j.configuration=file:///e:/Rational/Jazz/JazzTeamServer3/server/conf/jazz/log4j.properties
-Dorg.eclipse.emf.ecore.plugin.EcorePlugin.doNotLoadResourcesPlugin=true
-Dcom.ibm.team.repository.tempDir=E:\temp
-Xdump:heap:events=systhrow+user+gpf,filter=java/lang/OutOfMemoryError,file=E:\my.phd
-Xdump:system:events=systhrow+user+gpf,filter=java/lang/OutOfMemoryError,file=E:\my.dmp
-Xverbosegclog:E:/verbosegc.log
-Djazz.connector.sslProtocol=SSL_TLS
-Djazz.connector.algorithm=IbmX509
-Xverbosegclog:verbosegc.log

The system is Windows 2003 Server 32 bit. There is no chance to migrate to newer Tomcat version in the near future.

What could be a root cause of this issue? How we could configure Tomcat to produce catalina.out file?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Re: Tomcat does not generate catalina.out file when starting as service.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2011/9/1  <kk...@poczta.wp.pl>:
> Hello,
> I reviewed following documents: http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/windows-service-howto.html and http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/logging.html but did not find anything. Did you mean any other documetns? To clarify I have not changed anytching in logging.properties file.
>
> Dnia 1-09-2011 o godz. 12:00 Konstantin Kolinko napisał(a):
>> 2011/9/1  <kk...@poczta.wp.pl>:
>> > What could be a root cause of this issue?
>> >  How we could configure Tomcat to produce catalina.out file?
>>
>> See logging documentation in 7.0.x for an explanation.
>>
>> I wouldn't update 5.5 docs, because 5.5 is near its end-of-life.

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/logging.html#Console

Re: Tomcat does not generate catalina.out file when starting as service.

Posted by kk...@poczta.wp.pl.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.