Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Mirko Jahn <mi...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/30 13:39:39 UTC

Parallel usage of Maven 2 and 3

Hey there,

I am currently using Maven2 and 3 in parallel. I just tweaked the
scripts in the bin folder to use mvn3 instead of mvn for the beta-1
release. This is a great way for me to easily check if my build has
any problems with the latest release without the need to switch
environment variables or similar. However, I am running into problems
when using the invoker plugin, because it requires a "mvn" script in
order to work property. Is there a way to tell (within a plugin to
know which version of Maven I am using and then just overwrite the
required executable? Maybe there is even a simpler way of doing this,
that's why I am asking this group, if others have already a better
solution - or could share some piece of advice.

Cheers,
Mirko

Re: Parallel usage of Maven 2 and 3

Posted by Mirko Jahn <mi...@gmail.com>.
Well, nothing in general, except I find it a bit inconvenient (I am
bound to various OS and Windows f.i. has a horrible cmd interface).
Besides we offer a framework that gets used by others and thus makes
it more important to keep things as simple as possible. Anyway, you
made me think... I can just set the environment variable in my custom
mvn3 script. The actual location can be provided by the installer of
the FW within a different environment variable... This will allow me
to switch between the two on an execution time level. Thanks for the
hint!

Cheers,
Mirko

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-2730

On 30/07/2010, at 8:58 PM, Justin Edelson wrote:

> On 7/30/10 7:39 AM, Mirko Jahn wrote:
>> Hey there,
>>
>> I am currently using Maven2 and 3 in parallel. I just tweaked the
>> scripts in the bin folder to use mvn3 instead of mvn for the beta-1
>> release. This is a great way for me to easily check if my build has
>> any problems with the latest release without the need to switch
>> environment variables or similar. However, I am running into problems
>> when using the invoker plugin, because it requires a "mvn" script in
>> order to work property. Is there a way to tell (within a plugin to
>> know which version of Maven I am using and then just overwrite the
>> required executable? Maybe there is even a simpler way of doing this,
>> that's why I am asking this group, if others have already a better
>> solution - or could share some piece of advice.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mirko
>
> What's wrong with switching environment variables? That's what I've been
> doing.

Brett Porter
brett@apache.org
http://brettporter.wordpress.com/