Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <rd...@apache.org> on 2007/07/17 00:02:52 UTC

Re: [classlib][awt] Default fonts needed for headless support (was Re:[contributions][awt] Font library)

On Mon, 2007-07-16 at 17:33 +0400, Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> 2007/7/16, Dmitriy Matveev <ma...@gmail.com>:
> > We can take this bundle of fonts as a variant:
> > http://dejavu.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
> >
> > License is there:
> > http://dejavu.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/License
> Is it possible to include these fonts to Harmony?

interesting question :-)

at first glance, i thought that the license was not OSI compatible but
after taking a look at
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/x11/ttf-bitstream-vera and another
one at the license the license is IMHO non-viral and compliant.
hopefully, those who know more will jump in if this isn't write.

here's my reasoning:

http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php states only
"1. Free Redistribution
The license shall not restrict any party from selling or
giving away the software as a component of an aggregate
software distribution containing programs from several
different sources. The license shall not require a
royalty or other fee for such sale."

so it's ok to prevent the sale of a component outside an aggregation.

going by http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html, this means that
it should be ok. however, please take care over the labeling
requirements since the policy is still in flux.

it is also a very unusual open source license and so people may well
jump in with differing opinions.

- robert

Re: [classlib][awt] Default fonts needed for headless support (was Re:[contributions][awt] Font library)

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
So...

Dmitriy, thanks again for finding these fonts :)

Have you filed this issue to JIRA? If not then please do it.
I'll prepare a patch.

SY, Alexey

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Jul 16, 2007, at 3:02 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

>>> Is it possible to include these fonts to Harmony?
>
> It is a reworded Apache 1.1 license with one additional clause
>
>    The Font Software may be sold as part of a larger software
>    package but no copy of one or more of the Font Software
>    typefaces may be sold by itself.
>
> which has no impact on us or anyone who redistributes our packages.
> That means it is okay provided that the license is added to our
> product's LICENSE file noting what it applies to.

Isn't this an additional restriction over and above the terms of AL2?
My understanding of our position (and I would be more than happy to be
corrected on this) is that anything we include should not be more
restrictive than AL2.

As I understand AL2, I can take any element (or elements) of an Apache
distribution, package it/them however I like and (providing I meet the
redistribution requirements of section AL2.4) sell them for as much as
I can get away with.

These don't appear to be compatible. Where have I got it wrong?

Mark

Re: [classlib][awt] Default fonts needed for headless support (was Re:[contributions][awt] Font library)

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.