Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Thomas Moore <tj...@digitalperformance.com> on 2003/01/17 20:33:35 UTC

[users@httpd] logging banner ads in customer's apache logs

I want to log banner ads in my mySQL database (which I am doing now), and
then have the link jump to the customers web site (which I am doing now
using META HTTP refresh).

The problem is we want the customer to see that his link was clicked on by
our web server and it seems like using the META refresh puts the log data
into "no referer" for his web logs instead of our domain name.

I've looked quite a bit and can not find any good answers. Any help would be
appreciated.

Here is the PHP code/mySQL code I use to log the hits and the html code to
redirect the customer to the banner advertiser's web site...

$query1 ="insert into URL_LOG (number_of_hits, log_date, company_id, url,
ban_or_reg, category_id, mcategory_id)";
$query1 .=" values ($number_of_hits, NOW(), $compid, '$url', '$banner',
$catid, $mcatid)";
$result1 = mysql_query($query1) or die("Query failed - $query1");

print "<META HTTP-EQUIV=Refresh CONTENT=\"0; URL=http://$url\">";
?>
Click here if this screen does not refresh...
<?

Re: [users@httpd] logging banner ads in customer's apache logs

Posted by Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net>.
Thomas Moore wrote:

>I want to log banner ads in my mySQL database (which I am doing now), and
>then have the link jump to the customers web site (which I am doing now
>using META HTTP refresh).
>
>The problem is we want the customer to see that his link was clicked on by
>our web server and it seems like using the META refresh puts the log data
>into "no referer" for his web logs instead of our domain name.

No PHP here, so a Perl example.

===============================

#!/usr/bin/perl -wT

use strict;

# The idea here is to let the browser go to a new url while a record
# is made of the click through.

my $path = $ENV{QUERY_STRING};
print "Location: $path\n\n";

====================================

This causes the browser to go to the address in $path.  Some older
browsers may not support "Location".  For that, you could also return a
page with a normal <a href>.

and, sample html

====================================

<title>redirection test</title>
</head>

<h1>Let's Track a Click-Thru</h1>

<hr>

==================================

Your access log will have the clicked-through site in the GET string.
At the same time, your customer will see a referer from the client.  How
you parse the logs is another exercise.  This should provide enough for
billing and the customer can compare to his access and referer logs if
he wishes.  If his logs show you as referer, might he suspect you of
running up the count?
--
gt                  kk5st@sbcglobal.net
 If someone tells you---

Re: [users@httpd] logging banner ads in customer's apache logs

Posted by Nelson Goforth <ng...@earthnet.net>.
Jurgen -

  I see your point - I've never looked at the access files to see (I
actually can't on my ISP).

Since most of the people listed in that online Guide won't be able to
see their logs either, what I do is send an e-mail (assuming that a
listing with a web address also has an e-mail address) that says -
"hey! someone just looked at your site" (for the most part this is so
people know that listing in the Guide is actually working for them).  I
can send the IP address of the REMOTE_HOST (and I guess I could do a
lookup to get the domain name), but that seemed to confuse the
customers, so I took it away.  I do, however write that to the special
log.

I did find something on Apache if its running mod_perl that bears on
the subject:
     http://sedition.com/perl/mod_perl.html

Nelson

Posted by Jurgen <ap...@squarehosting.com>.
Hi,

if your advertisers should see your domain name or IP in their log file, when a request for a banner is made, then your server will have to be the one connection to their site. Redirecting doesn't work, because that will result in the visitor's browser being the one connecting to the advertisers page.
It should be done with a Perl script, I don't know any easy way to do that with apache.

I guess Nelson doesn't understand your question yet, but maybe now.

Jurgen

Posted by Jurgen <ap...@squarehosting.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jurgen <ap...@squarehosting.com>.
Hi,

what the "Location" header does is to tell the browser to go to another URL.
The connection to this other URL will be made by the browser, so the IP will be the visitor's IP or host name. There will not be a connection from your server to the advertiser's server, which means they will not have a connection from your server in their log files.
I don't know if this is what you want. Your script can log this request into a database though.

So this way you display a banner URL on your web site, which calls the script running on your own server. This script will enter a log entry in the database and redirect to the advertisers page. This will not make a difference on the display in the browser window.

Jurgen

Posted by Nelson Goforth <ng...@earthnet.net>.

Posted by Thomas Moore <tj...@digitalperformance.com>.
What causes the url to get redirected?