Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by John McNally <jm...@collab.net> on 2001/12/17 22:16:33 UTC

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-turbine-torque/src/java/org/apache/torque/engine/database/model Database.java Table.java

Daniel Rall wrote:

> When feasible, I prefer avoiding double negative logic.  Was there any
> reason in particular you used a skipHeavyIndexing=false attribute
> instead of a heavyIndexing=true attribute?

To keep the behavior the same as it is when the attribute is not
mentioned.  I guess I liked the double negative better than making
heavyIndexing=true the default.  But you are right, it is better
syntax.  Do you think it should be left on by default?

john mcnally

Re: New heavy indexing behavior (cvs commit: jakarta-turbine-torque/src/java/org/apache/torque/engine/database/model Database.java Table.java)

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
John McNally <jm...@collab.net> writes:

> Daniel Rall wrote:
> >
>> When feasible, I prefer avoiding double negative logic.  Was there any
>> reason in particular you used a skipHeavyIndexing=false attribute
>> instead of a heavyIndexing=true attribute?
>>

> To keep the behavior the same as it is when the attribute is not
> mentioned.  I guess I liked the double negative better than making
> heavyIndexing=true the default.  But you are right, it is better
> syntax.  Do you think it should be left on by default?

Hrm.  I prefer the syntax I suggested, but didn't think about the fact
that it's inconsistant with the usage for other toggled attributes.  I
would be okay with turning it off by default.  It's a side effect of
SQL schema generation; the schema author should have to explicitly
turn on all side effects.

<schema ... heavyIndexing="true">
</schema>

So the property would be renamed to heavyIndexing and it would default
to false if not specified for the schema.  Ideally, the heavyIndexing
attribute would be specified at both the schema and table levels, with
the table's value overriding the schema's value.

Dan