Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by "Williams, Murray Todd" <mu...@merck.com> on 2000/05/01 16:48:07 UTC

RE: What is supported in Cocoon 1.x and no longer supported in 2. 0

> ----------

I was just about to ask a very similar question of the mailing list. I'm
wanting to write a custom Processor (and maybe also a Producer) for Cocoon,
but I don't want to do a full and complete rewrite for Cocoon2.

Re: What is supported in Cocoon 1.x and no longer supported in 2. 0

Posted by Ross Burton <ro...@mail.com>.
> I was just about to ask a very similar question of the mailing list. I'm
> wanting to write a custom Processor (and maybe also a Producer) for
Cocoon,
> but I don't want to do a full and complete rewrite for Cocoon2.

Cocoon 2 is fully SAX2-based - no DOM is used directly by the core engine.
However, the are several classes (org.apache.cocooon.xml.util.DOMBuilder et
al) which handle the reading of SAX2 events and create a DOM Document
object.  As long as your producers/processors are modular, porting to Cocoon
2 should be fairly simple.

Ross Burton

Re: What is supported in Cocoon 1.x and no longer supported in 2. 0

Posted by Giacomo Pati <Gi...@pwr.ch>.
"Williams, Murray Todd" wrote:

> (Input) DOM Document --> SAX Events --> SAX "Filter" --> SAX Events -->
> (Output) DOM Document

There are some utility classes in the cocoon 2 cvs (DOMStreamer.java,
DOMBuilder.java) which can be used to stream a DOM to a DocumentHandler
or to build a DOM out of SAX Events. May be you can use these.

> I suspect that writing XSP material to built DOM structures is going to
> cause major portability problems to Cocoon2.

I think "standard" XSP will not cause major problems using them later in
cocoon 2. If you have written taglibs these of course can be a problem
and will have to be converted.

Giacomo

--
PWR Organisation & Entwicklung            Tel:   +41 (0)1 856 2202

Re: What is supported in Cocoon 1.x and no longer supported in 2. 0

Posted by Paul Russell <pa...@luminas.co.uk>.
On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 10:48:07AM -0400, Williams, Murray Todd wrote:
> [...] I imagine the way to go is to write a Cocoon1
> Processor with the basic structure
>
> (Input) DOM Document --> SAX Events --> SAX "Filter" --> SAX Events -->
> (Output) DOM Document

Cocoon2 already has two classes (org.apache.cocoon.xml.util.DOMBuilder and
org.apache.cocoon.xml.util.DOMStreamer) for doing this. If the peeps with
CVS commit status agree with the methodology, they might add those files to
the active (cocoon1) branch.

--
Paul Russell                               <pa...@luminas.co.uk>
Luminas Ltd.