Posted to user@struts.apache.org by nitin t <wr...@rediffmail.com> on 2004/10/20 09:13:58 UTC

For sorting columns on user side with records

hi ,
suppose i am using struts based app while showing data in various columns and i wish to give user the choice to sort the  column based on his choice does there is a support in struts html tags or other validator javascript generator so that this feature can be performed like we previously done in visual basic grids.

Thanks
Nitin Trivedi

Nitin Trivedi
Trainee Consultant
M/s Hybrid Cyber Solutions Pvt Ltd.
95, Tarang, J.P.Nagar,
5th Road, Goregaon (E.)
Mumbai - 400 063.
Landline No.- 26864822
Cell No.-02231204222.
Email ID:- n.trivedi@prescio.com

This communication (including any attachments) may contain privileged or
confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and
is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should
delete this communication and/or shred the materials and any attachments and
communication, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly
prohibited. Thank you.

Re: For sorting columns on user side with records

Posted by Jeff Beal <jb...@webmedx.com>.
There are quite a few third-party widgets for doing this.  Just do a
Google search for "html table widget" or "javascript table widget" and
look for one that works.  In particular, the Jaffa project
(jaffa.sourceforge.net) has a pretty slick looking table widget that is
designed to work well with Struts.  I think this is more server-side
sorting, though.

There's a fast JavaScript table sorter at
http://www.litotes.demon.co.uk/example_scripts/index.html.  This is a
big hairy JavaScript file, but it doesn't require much extra markup in
your HTML file.

-- Jeff

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
I really liked the link Jeff (I think that's who it was) provided
earlier.  In fact, I'm seriously considering replacing my own code as I
posted here with that solution in some of my systems at work.  But, my
code will do the trick, so if nothing else at least there's that to fall
back on.

Incidentally, about two years ago I began work on something called VisML
which included this type of functionality on a much grander scale.
Basically, it was a set of rich client-side GUI widgets for web apps.  I
had some pretty cool controls built (I modeled many of them after the
common Windows controls, with some other nice additions).  I had a whole
Javascript-based event model built around it, and a whole API that you
could utilize.  It was pretty elegant if I do say so myself, and was
even cross-browser at the time.  I even had the beginnings of an IDE for
laying out the pages that generated the required markup to drop on your
pages.  I've been considering resurrecting that project but implementing
it as a set of taglibs, which  I think would be better than requiring a
page author to write script code as in the previous version, even if it
was very simple and minimal code, it should be possible to not require
any (although some might still be used for more advanced functions).
The IDE idea I would drop completely, but the underlying widgets, event
model and API, conceptually at least, would remain.

I think there are now any number of projects like this out there, which
is what has given me pause in jumping right into it, along with a
general lack of time of course :)

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect

Posted by Zoran Avtarovski <zo...@conads.com>.
Have a look at the displaytag taglib - displaytag.sourceforge.net. It
provides sorting + a whole lot more. And it's struts friendly to boot.

Z.