Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ian Pilborough <Ia...@nettec.net> on 2002/12/13 12:29:08 UTC

Tomcat/IIS losing request parameters

Hi,

I have problem with IIS and Tomcat losing request parameters.

I have a set-up with IIS 5.0 and Tomcat 4.0.6 on Windows 2002 Advanced
Server and JDK 1.3.1_01 and for sometime this has worked fine, but I have
just noticed that request parameters are lost when there are spaces in the
filenames of a JSP being served.

With this code to loop through request.getParameters() on two pages I get
two different outputs from the same request parameters.

<%

int i =0;
for (Enumeration e = request.getParameterNames() ; e.hasMoreElements() ;)
{%>
     <%=++i%> = <%=e.nextElement()%><BR>
<%}

%>

For

http://localhost/mydir/testwithoutspaces.jsp?one=1&two=2

I get:

1 = one
2 = two

For

http://localhost/mydir/test with spaces.jsp?one=1&two=2

I get nothing returned.

If I hit the pages via port 8080 I get the correct response (i.e. from
testwithoutspaces.jsp above) from both pages. I can't see what is happening
here and wondered if this is a known "feature" when using filenames that
contain spaces between words.

I've looked for similar problems with lost request parameters and all I have
found is that IE sending URLs in UTF-8 can cause a problem with certain
versions of Tomcat. None of the problems I reviewed mentioned IIS and Tomcat
in conjunction though. If tomcat handles the URLs fine as standalone on port
8080 the only difference is with requests being passed through to Tomcat
from IIS via the AJP connector.

I've got two further problems, in that I didn't configure the original
system and that the system is in a co-location centre that I don't have much
access to. I'm currently setting up a test environment with IIS, but that's
not working at present, the original test environment didn't use IIS and so
I'm fighting to get a test set-up ready to work on this. (The joys of
picking up other's pieces eh?)

Finally, it is not possible to create the filenames without spaces in them
due to the software that produces each JSP (it's a long story, but not
relevant to this discussion). If anyone has any ideas, please send me a
message, otherwise I shall continue to trawl the net.

Cheers,

Ian

Re: Tomcat/IIS losing request parameters

Posted by Cees van de Griend <cv...@pobox.com>.
Hello Ian,

On Friday 13 December 2002 12:29, Ian Pilborough wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have problem with IIS and Tomcat losing request parameters.
>
> I have a set-up with IIS 5.0 and Tomcat 4.0.6 on Windows 2002 Advanced
> Server and JDK 1.3.1_01 and for sometime this has worked fine, but I have
> just noticed that request parameters are lost when there are spaces in the
> filenames of a JSP being served.

This is as it should be.

Don't use spaces in a filename. A space is an illegal character in an URL.
If you keep on using spaces in filename, expect a lot of random bugs.

Regards,
Cees.