Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Asaf Mesika <as...@gmail.com> on 2023/11/28 18:14:22 UTC

[DISCUSS] PIP-320: OpenTelemetry Scaffolding

Hi,

This is the first sub-PIP for parent PIP-264
<https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/21080> ("Enhanced OTel-based metric
system").

This PIPs goal is to introduce OpenTelemetry into Apache Pulsar. When this
PIP is implemented, we will be able to start converting (not replacing)
existing metrics into OpenTelemetry.

Link: https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/21635

Thanks,

Asaf

Re: [DISCUSS] PIP-320: OpenTelemetry Scaffolding

Posted by Lari Hotari <lh...@apache.org>.
LGTM. Great work Asaf!

-Lari

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Il giorno mer 29 nov 2023 alle ore 12:01 Asaf Mesika
<as...@gmail.com> ha scritto:

> On Wed, Nov 29, 2023 at 12:18 AM Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Asaf,
> >

> > Il Mar 28 Nov 2023, 19:14 Asaf Mesika <as...@gmail.com> ha scritto:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > This is the first sub-PIP for parent PIP-264
> > > <https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/21080> ("Enhanced OTel-based
> > metric
> > > system").
> > >
> > > This PIPs goal is to introduce OpenTelemetry into Apache Pulsar. When
> > this
> > > PIP is implemented, we will be able to start converting (not replacing)
> > > existing metrics into OpenTelemetry.
> > >

> > I support the proposal.
> > In the document it is explained that OTel is experimental, not GA and but
> > default it is disabled.
>

> Just  to clarify: The sub-title in the PIP referring to that is "Why OTel
> in Pulsar will be marked experimental and not GA".
> Using OTel in Pulsar is experimental, not OTel itself, which is of course
> stable and GA already.
>

> > My understanding is that in case it is disabled the impact on the runtime
> > is negligible, is this correct?
> >

> I added the following paragraph to the PIP to better explain.
>
> With OTel disabled, the user remains with the existing metrics system.
> OTel in a disabled state operates in a
> no-op mode. This means, instruments do get built, but the instrument
> builders return the same instance of a
> no-op instrument, which does nothing on record-values method (e.g.
> `add(number)`, `record(number)`). The no-op
> `MeterProvider` has no registered `MetricReader` hence when no metric
> collection will be made. The memory impact
> is almost 0 and the same goes for CPU impact.

Perfect.

+1

Thanks

Enrico