Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com> on 2005/12/22 22:08:15 UTC

java source code

Just for kicks, I ran a little program of mine that counts lines of
source code (excluding blank lines and comments) against the .java
files in the Lenya & Cocoon source.  Here's what it says:

Cocoon 2.1.7 *.java:    2,399,544 lines in 2454 files
Lenya 1.2.4   *.java:    1,091,217 lines in 1002 files

Of course, this doesn't include the java source of all the jar files
that Cocoon ships with.  (And everybody has a different way of
counting SLOC, so these should be considered ballpark totals.)

These numbers are very scary.

Re: java source code

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Bob Harner wrote:

> Just for kicks, I ran a little program of mine that counts lines of
> source code (excluding blank lines and comments) against the .java
> files in the Lenya & Cocoon source.  Here's what it says:
>
> Cocoon 2.1.7 *.java:    2,399,544 lines in 2454 files
> Lenya 1.2.4   *.java:    1,091,217 lines in 1002 files
>
> Of course, this doesn't include the java source of all the jar files
> that Cocoon ships with.  (And everybody has a different way of
> counting SLOC, so these should be considered ballpark totals.)
>
> These numbers are very scary.

why do you think it's scary? Please don't be afraid to be more
explicite, because every kind of feedback is good for the project.

Michi

Michael Wechner

Re: java source code

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Bob Harner wrote:

>It's scary to me in two ways:  1) there is so much code that it is
>difficult to thoroughly review the it all for security
>vulnerabiliities (something my customer requires), and 2) code size is
>an hint of the complexity (richness?) of Cocoon/Lenya and hence the
>difficulty in mastering it.
>
>I may have miscounted some files, and everyone's configuration is
>surely different.  On another system, with fewer Cocoon blocks turned
>on, I counted:
>
>    Lenya: 459 *.java files in the src directory, and 429 in build.
>
>    Cocoon:  2448 *.java files in the src directory, and 0 in build.
>
>Don't misunderstand me, I'm a big proponent of both Lenya and Cocoon.
>They are both remarkable in many ways.  But as others have said
>elsewhere -- particularly about Cocoon -- their size and complexity
>have probably hindered their popularity.

very much agreed. I also would wish a light (really light weight)
version and the same is true
for Lenya. The problem is that these things grow historically. Another
thing is backwards compatibility.
I think one has to live with this and accept that this will always be
the case, but we can develop strategies
and do something about it. For instance I would like to modularize Lenya
into different components and show
that "physically" by using different directories or some kind of
"dependency registration".

Any other suggestions are very welcome.

Michi

Re: java source code