Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com> on 2009/09/23 16:58:10 UTC

[users@httpd] Cascading dirs and .htaccess

I have a directory structure in which I have a .htaccess file at the
top level:

Options All +MultiViews
IndexOptions FancyIndexing FoldersFirst NameWidth=* DescriptionWidth=*
IconsAreLinks SuppressHTMLPreamble IconHeight=20 IconWidth=20
AddIcon /icons/zip.gif .gz .zip .tgz
AddIcon /icons/dir.gif ^^DIRECTORY^^
IndexIgnore head.html foot.html
HeaderName head.html
ReadmeName foot.html

Under this directory I have a lot of other directories.

What I would like to be able to do is to setup the .htaccess file so
that in each directory, head/foot.html are processed if they are
present, but if they are NOT present, the top level head/foot.html
files are used instead. I know I can do this by creating a .htaccess
for each folder, but I want to avoid that.

If that is not possible, then is it at least possible to include the
current directory name in the html files?

Assume the following directories

$HOME/html/myfiles/February-2009/
                   /September-1993/

.htaccess is in 'myfiles'

in February I'd like to have in head.html <h1>Februrary-2009</h1> and
in September have <h1>September-1993</h1>. (I don't want the full
path, just the current directory name).

On a similar vein, assuming the above directory structure, is it
possible to have an .htaccess file at /myfiles that applies to that
directory and have different settings that apply to the directories
under that directory without making a .htaccess file for every
directory under myfiles?

--
If I were you boys, I wouldn't talk or even think about women.
	'T'ain't good for your health.