Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by "Dalton, Michael D" <Mi...@nasa.gov> on 2004/07/15 15:58:08 UTC

Cache problem and questions - Jetspeed 1 (repost)

No one responded to this post which I made in May 2004.
Am I missing something here?  Doesn't anyone else have this problem?

OK guys and gals... Here are some more caching questions.

I can't get my simple HTML portlet (based on FileServerPortlet) to
"refresh" itself -- without actually stopping the app and deleting the
cache.  According to the docs, the new HTML should be refreshed based on
my XREG entry (i.e, _TimeToLive setting) or the default TimeToLive
setting in JetspeedResources.

In the example below, _TimeToLive=10000 should mean a 10 second cache
lifetime... right???

I would like explanations for the following:
What does "cachedOnName" supposed to mean?
What does "cachedOnValue" supposed to mean?
What does "cachedOnURL" supposed to mean?
Does the "_TimeToLive" setting work with FileServerPortlet?

How do I actually "turn off" caching?  Is there one setting that will do
the trick?

I have searched everywhere, including the Jetspeed docs (e.g., Config
common to most portlets, etc.) and can't answer these simple questions
-- and get this portlet to refresh with a newer file.

<portlet-entry name="MyPage" hidden="false" type="ref"
        parent="HTML" application="false">
            <title>My Web Page</title>
            <description>Its my Web page really</description>

<classname>org.apache.jetspeed.portal.portlets.FileServerPortlet</classn
ame>
        <parameter name="_TimeToLive" value="10000" hidden="true"
            cachedOnName="true" cachedOnValue="true"/>
        <parameter name="_showtitlebar" value="true" hidden="false"
            cachedOnName="true" cachedOnValue="true"/>
        <parameter name="open_in_popup" value="yes" hidden="true"
            cachedOnName="true" cachedOnValue="true"/>
        <url cachedOnURL="true">http://xxxxxxxxxxxxx/internal.html</url>
        <category group="Jetspeed">links</category> </portlet-entry>

My JetspeedResources.properties settings (development) are as follows:

cache.require.cached=true
cache.default.expiration=60
refresh.portlet.default = 10
contentfeeds.fetchall=true
daemon.entry=diskcachedaemon
daemon.diskcachedaemon.classname=org.apache.jetspeed.daemon.impl.DiskCac
heDaemon
daemon.diskcachedaemon.interval=30
daemon.diskcachedaemon.onstartup=false
autocreate.portlets=true
services.PsmlManager.cacheSize=0
services.PortletFactory.enable.cache=true
services.PortletCache.TimeToLive.default=10000
diskcache.localprotocols=file,classloader,jndi

Thank you for any and all help,

Michael Dalton

Michael.D.Dalton@nasa.gov