Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2011/06/29 18:30:29 UTC

Invitation to speak at TransferSummit

I chair a conference in Oxford, UK called TransferSummit. The next on
is in September (7/8). The conference is about open development and
open innovation.

I would love to have someone from the Apache OO.o team present the
community case for Apache OO.o. That is, rather than a technical
presentation I am looking for a justification for the move to the ASF.
There are other talks that cover the Apache Way, I'm more looking for
opinion from the initial committers.

I'm afraid we don't pay travel expenses, but we do cover a conference
pass, two nights accomodation, gala dinner, breakfasts and lunch

More info about the conference at http://www.transfersummit.com

(if anyone on this list thinks they have another killer presentation
for such an event feel free to mail me)

Ross

Re: Invitation to speak at TransferSummit

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 29 June 2011 17:30, Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> wrote:
> I chair a conference in Oxford, UK called TransferSummit. The next on
> is in September (7/8). The conference is about open development and
> open innovation.
>
> I would love to have someone from the Apache OO.o team present the
> community case for Apache OO.o. That is, rather than a technical
> presentation I am looking for a justification for the move to the ASF.

I would like to stress that by "justification" I do not mean a
justification for the Oracle/IBM decision to move OOo here. I mean
justification for the ***individuals*** support of that move. That is
why is the speaker here contributing to Apache OOo. I expand on this
later in this thread.

Sorry if this has caused you confusion.

Ross

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 29 June 2011 21:29, Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ross,
>
> I'm wearing an Apache Hat here.. I'm also wearing an OpenOffice.org Hat
> since
> I've been involved in the project since 2005. So I have alot of history, if
> that's your
> concern.

Sorry, you misunderstood my reply. I have no concern. I think you are
a great candidate speaker, but I want to allow the planet to revolve a
few times to allow others to step up if they so desire.

> One of the aspects of the Apache project that has gotten a fair
> amount
> of misunderstanding is the relationship of IBM Symphony to OpenOffice, and
> now
> with Apache OpenOffice.  Excluding this POV will not be a service to anyone.
> IMHO.

I agree. That's why I don't want someone representing IBM (an IBM
employee representing Apache OO.o is fine). It's a matter of balance,
that's all. If I were asking for an IBM position I would be mailing
IBM not the OO.o mailing list. You being an IBM employee does not
exclude you from representing Apache OO.o, I just wanted to make it
clear what I was looking for.

> I also know the LibreOffice
> people
> pretty well from my history with OpenOffice. It would be great to have the
> beer/coke/whatever...

yay!

> ...Not sure why I'm disqualified in your view from giving the presentation,
> to be honest.

I can only assume it is poor phrasing in my response that makes you
think you are disqualified. Actually your just the kind of candidate I
had in mind, as long as you can talk about Apache OO.o as discussed
above.

Sorry for the confusion.

Ross

OpenDirective http://opendirective.com

Re: Invitation to speak at TransferSummit

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.
Ross,

I'm wearing an Apache Hat here.. I'm also wearing an OpenOffice.org Hat
since
I've been involved in the project since 2005. So I have alot of history, if
that's your
concern. One of the aspects of the Apache project that has gotten a fair
amount
of misunderstanding is the relationship of IBM Symphony to OpenOffice, and
now
with Apache OpenOffice. Excluding this POV will not be a service to anyone.
IMHO.
I can wear three hats if you like, and switch them on and off during the
presentation:
OpenOffice.org, Symphony, and Apache OpenOffice. I also know the LibreOffice

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 29 June 2011 21:20, Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 3:59 PM, Ross Gardler
> <rg...@opendirective.com> wrote:
>> This sounds great Donald. No worries about being new to the ASF, I'm
>> really wanting someone with some history with OOo that can talk about
>> why you (not your employer) felt that Apache was chosen as the final
>> home.
>>
>> I am also asking someone from LO. I trust that both parties will be
>
> Asking them what?  Presumably they would not be presenting "a
> justification for the move to the ASF".

:-) an obvious quesiton, but certainly one that needs asking.

I'm asking them to talk about Libre Office and TDF - i.e. how does it
work. I'm working with them to ensure that the session is *not* about
their opinions of OOo or the Apache.

I will be working with both speakers (assuming someone suitable from
LO/TDF is wiling to speak) to make sure that the presentation is
appropriate.

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
<rg...@opendirective.com> wrote:
> This sounds great Donald. No worries about being new to the ASF, I'm
> really wanting someone with some history with OOo that can talk about
> why you (not your employer) felt that Apache was chosen as the final
> home.
>
> I am also asking someone from LO. I trust that both parties will be

Asking them what?  Presumably they would not be presenting "a
justification for the move to the ASF".

> sensible enough to avoid there being an Us and Them flavour. In fact I

I suspect that will depend on the answer to my question above.  The
sense of the question matters as much as the sense of person.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.
Ross,