Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Rick Reumann <st...@reumann.net> on 2005/05/12 17:55:35 UTC

[OT] Too late to become a rock star?

Yea, it's not Friday. Just whining (with no cheese)..

Anyone else fed up with trying to keep up with all the stuff coming out
every day in this crazy IT world <insert one of a million acronyms here> ???

I can't play an instrument or sing, but maybe it's not too late to
become a rock star at 35? I want to join a ska band.

--
Rick

Re: [OT] Too late to become a rock star?

Posted by "K.C. Baltz" <kc...@firefox.co.uk>.
And remember, old ska bands never die, they just can't
pickitup-pickitup-pickitup anymore.

(Couldn't resist the chance to use my only ska-related joke).

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@pingsite.com>.
Rick Reumann wrote:

> Anyone else fed up with trying to keep up with all the stuff coming
> out every day in this crazy IT world <insert one of a million acronyms
> here> ???

At one company I worked for we kept a list of all the
technologies/acronyms we were using on a single web project. After we
ran off the end of a page we gave up. And that was several years ago.

Amongst the biggest issues I have with all the new technologies being
thrust upon us all the time is that there's very rarely any real chance
to get to know them, experiment, etc. to the degree necessary to be
actually able to evaluate, separate the wheat from the chaff, integrate
them into an existing envronment (when it's even practical to do so), etc.

It seems like given an appropriate amount of time to deal with the AWAH
(Acronyms We Already Have) that considerably more robust, automagically
documenting, blah blah blah systems could be built. Instead we have to
spend all our time putting out fires, using technologies "half-way,"
etc. At least that's what I find _my_self doing more often than I'd prefer.

> I can't play an instrument or sing, but maybe it's not too late to
> become a rock star at 35? I want to join a ska band.

Actually, not being able to play an instrument or sing is stands you in
quite good stead for joining a ska band.

Dave

Re: [OT] Too late to become a rock star?

Posted by Rick Reumann <st...@reumann.net>.
I might give potato farming a try.

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Based on the talent of musicians as a whole over the past few years, I
would say it's *never* too late to become a rock star.  Even if one is in
a nursing home, confined to a wheel chair and suffering from any number of
age-related ailments, one could probably break the top 40 these days :)

Speaking as one who was in a band for a lot of years and was actually
presented with a contract offer (I didn't accept it and the band broke
up... best decision I ever made!), I can say I'd much rather be in the
crazy world of IT.  At least I can be reasonably sure I won't have to pay
back thousands of dollars to my employer when my application doesn't sell
as well as they expected :)

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect
Omnytex Technologies
http://www.omnytex.com

Posted by Simon Chappell <si...@gmail.com>.
Ska? Showing your age there Rick. Oops, so am I. :-)

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
With the way my kids manipulate my wife, I'd say it's a great example of
IoC.

Groan.

Frank

Posted by "Eric C. Hein" <er...@sbcglobal.net>.
I guess I'm relieved that Ted doesn't refer to his kids as "POJO's". :)

- Eric
Tour Manager - "No Bean Found"

You wouldn't be so much older than a lot of people in the audience
these days. I sometimes take the kids to all-ages shows, and I'm
always happy to find that I'm still neither the oldest nor the
spookiest guy there :)

Tomorrow night, live at the Steel Music Hall: "Midtown", "Plain White
Ts", and my personal favorite, the Struts band of the week ... "Action
Action". (No kidding.)

I'll be the one in the Apache t-shirt. :)

-Ted.

On 5/12/05, Rick Reumann <st...@reumann.net> wrote:
> Yea, it's not Friday. Just whining (with no cheese)..
>
> Anyone else fed up with trying to keep up with all the stuff coming out
> every day in this crazy IT world <insert one of a million acronyms here>
> ???
>
> I can't play an instrument or sing, but maybe it's not too late to
> become a rock star at 35? I want to join a ska band.
>
> --
> Rick

HTH, Ted.

Re: [OT] Too late to become a rock star?

Posted by "Vic Cekvenich (netsql)" <ce...@gmail.com>.
tonight on mtv:

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/6361.cfm

3 PPC at 3.2 ea.

.V

Re: [OT] Too late to become a rock star?

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@pingsite.com>.
Ted Husted wrote:

>Tomorrow night, live at the Steel Music Hall: "Midtown", "Plain White
>Ts", and my personal favorite, the Struts band of the week ... "Action
>Action". (No kidding.)

*lol*

When we see "Perversion of Control" fronted by "Hot Dependency
Injection" THEN I'll be scared.

Dave

Re: [OT] Too late to become a rock star?

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
You wouldn't be so much older than a lot of people in the audience
these days. I sometimes take the kids to all-ages shows, and I'm
always happy to find that I'm still neither the oldest nor the
spookiest guy there :)

Tomorrow night, live at the Steel Music Hall: "Midtown", "Plain White
Ts", and my personal favorite, the Struts band of the week ... "Action
Action". (No kidding.)

I'll be the one in the Apache t-shirt. :)

-Ted.

On 5/12/05, Rick Reumann <st...@reumann.net> wrote:
> Yea, it's not Friday. Just whining (with no cheese)..
>
> Anyone else fed up with trying to keep up with all the stuff coming out
> every day in this crazy IT world <insert one of a million acronyms here> ???
>
> I can't play an instrument or sing, but maybe it's not too late to
> become a rock star at 35? I want to join a ska band.
>
> --
> Rick

HTH, Ted.