Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz> on 2004/02/28 02:55:39 UTC

[digester] relicensing to apache2.0

Hi,

I'm willing to do the relicensing work for digester.

I've experimented with the ReplaceLicense tool in committers repo, and
it seems simple enough.

Unless anyone objects, I will apply/commit the new license in about 48
hours from now.

Note: I've grepped for copyright statements in Digester, and found none
other than the ASF one. There are some @author statements for people who
are not apache committers, but those people were either contributing new
files with apache licenses/copyrights on the top, or providing patches
to files already copyrighted ASF so I can't see any legal issues (IANAL
and all that). In short, I can't see anything different in Digester from
the other projects currently relicensing.

Regards,

Simon

Re: [digester] relicensing to apache2.0

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Quoting Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>:

> On Sat, 2004-02-28 at 14:55, Simon Kitching wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm willing to do the relicensing work for digester.
>
> BTW, the relicensing stuff will strip out all the @author tags.
>
> So I would like to add the following @authors to the contributors
> section of the project.xml file:
>   * David H. Martin   [initial xmlrules  implementation]
>   * Henri Chen  [patches to xmlrules]
>   * Janek Bogucki [patch to SetTopRule]
>   * Mark Huisman [created ObjectParamRule]
>   * Paul Jack
>
> The following @authors should probably go into the developers section:
>   * Jean-Francois Arcand
>   * Christopher Lenz
>   * Ted Husted
>   * Stephen Colebourne
>

> I am aware of the following people who have provided patches but were
> not explicitly @authors. I would like to add them to the contributors
> too:
>  * Anton Maslovsky [xmlrules ObjectParamRule support]
>  * Matt Cleveland [patch to SetTopRule]
>
> Remy Maucherat is a commons developer who recently contributed many
> ideas to what eventually became the "substitution" module. Should he be
> added as a developer or contributor?
>

> And I'd also like to add myself as a Developer.
>
> All ok?

+1

> Thanks,
>
> Simon

Craig

Re: [digester] relicensing to apache2.0

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 29 Feb 2004, at 13:53, Stephen Colebourne wrote:

<snip>

> (Although IMHO there is nothing wrong with personal author tags)

that's cool with me. i've given up trying to persuade people my way's
the right way :)

- robert

Re: [digester] relicensing to apache2.0

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
Having a hyperlink like this would be quite good for search engines IIUC.
They seem  to like lots of links back to the home page from within a site.

(Although IMHO there is nothing wrong with personal author tags)

Stephen

From: "robert burrell donkin" <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 29 Feb 2004, at 02:21, Simon Kitching wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-02-29 at 03:38, robert burrell donkin wrote:

<snip>

>> one day soon (probably once the betwixt branch is merged into HEAD)
>> i'm
>> going to go through and change all my @author tags to credit the ASF
>> instead. (i'm not really trying to push other folks into doing this,
>> just stating my intentions.)
>
> I thought the consensus was that @author should go completely.
>
> Given that every file has an ASF copyright, it doesn't seem necessary
> me to have @author "The ASF community" or similar.

i quite like the aesthetics of the tag, to me the javadocs look a
little bare without it. (but that's possible not a good enough reason
to keep it.)

Posted by Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>.
On Sun, 2004-02-29 at 03:38, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On 28 Feb 2004, at 05:38, Henri Yandell wrote:
>
> > The Java version in the committers/ doesn't strip out @author. Just in
> > case you want to avoid having to change this now.

My mistake.

> that'd be good. i think that simon's suggestions sounds like a good
> idea but it'd give us a little more time to think if we don't need to
> change just yet.

Beaten to the punch on the license change by Yoav Shapira (yoavs) :-)

> one day soon (probably once the betwixt branch is merged into HEAD) i'm
> going to go through and change all my @author tags to credit the ASF
> instead. (i'm not really trying to push other folks into doing this,
> just stating my intentions.)

I thought the consensus was that @author should go completely.

Given that every file has an ASF copyright, it doesn't seem necessary to
me to have @author "The ASF community" or similar.

I'm going to remove all my @author lines anyway, and to update
project.xml with all the named authors as developers or contributors. I
won't remove or modify your @author tags without your agreement, but I
think it is best if they all just go away. Less clutter is good.

> >> The following @authors should probably go into the developers section:
> >>   * Jean-Francois Arcand
> >>   * Christopher Lenz
> >>   * Ted Husted
> >>   * Stephen Colebourne
>
> i'm happy to add these somewhere but we might want to ask christopher
> and ted if they want to be credited as contributors or as developers
> (since being listed as a developer leads to private emails).

Ok, Jean-Francois and Stephen Colebourne added as developers.

Ted and Christopher added as "contributors" (with no email info) at the
moment. Guys, if you think you should be in the developers section, go
ahead and change it, or send an email.

> >> Remy Maucherat is a commons developer who recently contributed many
> >> ideas to what eventually became the "substitution" module. Should he
> >> be
> >> added as a developer or contributor?
>
> usually, it's only concrete contributions that are credited in this
> way. we should probably ask him (see comments above).

Remy, the "substitution" (and thus variable expansion) feature wouldn't
exist if it weren't for you so I'm happy to put you in. Up to you...

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 28 Feb 2004, at 05:38, Henri Yandell wrote:

> The Java version in the committers/ doesn't strip out @author. Just in
> case you want to avoid having to change this now.

that'd be good. i think that simon's suggestions sounds like a good
idea but it'd give us a little more time to think if we don't need to
change just yet.

one day soon (probably once the betwixt branch is merged into HEAD) i'm
going to go through and change all my @author tags to credit the ASF
instead. (i'm not really trying to push other folks into doing this,
just stating my intentions.)

>> So I would like to add the following @authors to the contributors
>> section of the project.xml file:
>>   * David H. Martin   [initial xmlrules  implementation]
>>   * Henri Chen  [patches to xmlrules]
>>   * Janek Bogucki [patch to SetTopRule]
>>   * Mark Huisman [created ObjectParamRule]
>>   * Paul Jack

fine

>> The following @authors should probably go into the developers section:
>>   * Jean-Francois Arcand
>>   * Christopher Lenz
>>   * Ted Husted
>>   * Stephen Colebourne

i'm happy to add these somewhere but we might want to ask christopher
and ted if they want to be credited as contributors or as developers
(since being listed as a developer leads to private emails).

>> I am aware of the following people who have provided patches but were
>> not explicitly @authors. I would like to add them to the contributors
>> too:
>>  * Anton Maslovsky [xmlrules ObjectParamRule support]
>>  * Matt Cleveland [patch to SetTopRule]

seems reasonable

>> Remy Maucherat is a commons developer who recently contributed many
>> ideas to what eventually became the "substitution" module. Should he
>> be
>> added as a developer or contributor?

usually, it's only concrete contributions that are credited in this
way. we should probably ask him (see comments above).

>> And I'd also like to add myself as a Developer.

fine :)

- robert

Re: [digester] relicensing to apache2.0

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
The Java version in the committers/ doesn't strip out @author. Just in
case you want to avoid having to change this now.

Hen

Posted by Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 1 Mar 2004, at 10:49, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

<snip>

> I still feel bad with this automated mass relicensing, it looks too
> hasty to me compared to relicensings performed on others projets,
> Mozilla spent more than 1 year to change its license. I think there
> should be a thorough code review identifying all contributors and
> ensuring they have either signed the CLA or agreed on the relicensing.
>
> I hope someone will hear me :)

not when you're shouting on the wrong list :)

(sorry to be sounding like a broken record but this isn't an effective
place to raise issues like this.)

FWIW the issue for the ASF is legal risk. mozilla had the financial
backing of a huge and wealthy corporation. they can afford to fight
long and hard in the courts. the ASF is tiny and poor, backed by a
small number of software developers. i'm definitely willing to cut the
ASF members a lot of slack since they are accepting a level of personal
risk to bring you all this open source software.

- robert

Re: [digester] relicensing to apache2.0

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@micropole-univers.com>.
Simon Kitching wrote:

> Note: I've grepped for copyright statements in Digester, and found none
> other than the ASF one. There are some @author statements for people who
> are not apache committers, but those people were either contributing new
> files with apache licenses/copyrights on the top, or providing patches
> to files already copyrighted ASF so I can't see any legal issues (IANAL
> and all that).

Even if non Apache commiters contributed code under the ASL 1.1 the
condition 1 prevents relicensing ("Redistributions of source code must
retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the
following disclaimer."). I'm persuaded there is a confusion between the
copyright of the license and the copyright of the work, when i read :

  * The Apache Software License, Version 1.1
  *
  * Copyright (c) 2000 The Apache Software Foundation.  All rights
  * reserved.

I understand the copyright notice is related to the license, which can
not be modified (All rights reserved) but not to the source code. That
means that contributing code with the ASL does *not* transfert the
copyright to the ASF. This confusion has been "fixed" in the ASL 2.0,
there is now a different copyright for the license and for the code.

I still feel bad with this automated mass relicensing, it looks too
hasty to me compared to relicensings performed on others projets,
Mozilla spent more than 1 year to change its license. I think there
should be a thorough code review identifying all contributors and
ensuring they have either signed the CLA or agreed on the relicensing.

I hope someone will hear me :)

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [digester] relicensing to apache2.0

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Quoting Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>:

> Hi,
>
> I'm willing to do the relicensing work for digester.
>
> I've experimented with the ReplaceLicense tool in committers repo, and
> it seems simple enough.
>
> Unless anyone objects, I will apply/commit the new license in about 48
> hours from now.

+1 ... Thanks, Simon.

> Note: I've grepped for copyright statements in Digester, and found none
> other than the ASF one. There are some @author statements for people who
> are not apache committers, but those people were either contributing new
> files with apache licenses/copyrights on the top, or providing patches
> to files already copyrighted ASF so I can't see any legal issues (IANAL
> and all that). In short, I can't see anything different in Digester from
> the other projects currently relicensing.

The present trend is also towards removing @author tags, and that's fine with me
as well ... although it's probably better as a separate set of commits.

> Regards,
>
> Simon

Craig