Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by de...@daimlerchrysler.com on 2004/10/07 10:53:16 UTC

Jmeter from Command Line through Ant without GUI

Hi,

I saw the following link to use Jmeter from ant
http://www.programmerplanet.org/ant-jmeter/

However this is an Ant task for automating running JMeter test plans
which means I 'should' have a test plan previously.

But is there anyway I can create a test plan from scratch
through ant build.

I also checked the link
http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/get-started.html#override

for running Jmeter from the command line mode without the GUI.
I also tried the following example

jmeter -n -t c:\jakarta-jmeter-2.0.1\Test1.jmx -l
c:\jakarta-jmeter-2.0.1\log1.xml
Created the tree successfully
Starting the test
[Full GC 17873K->661K(249088K), 0.2706095 secs]
Tidying up ...
... end of run

It works fine, except for the fact that jmeter requires a jmx file.

Is there anyway so that all the required information for creating a
jmx file like - Server name IP; port number; path etc be specified
from the command prompt itself.

In short I want to start the test from the scratch without going
to the GUI. Or atleast start the GUI from Ant by passing all the
required values through Ant without explicitly opening and working
in the GUI.

bye,
with regards,
Deepak.

Re: Jmeter from Command Line through Ant without GUI

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 10:53:16 +0200,
deepak.angeswar@daimlerchrysler.com
<de...@daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I saw the following link to use Jmeter from ant
> http://www.programmerplanet.org/ant-jmeter/
>
> However this is an Ant task for automating running JMeter test plans
> which means I 'should' have a test plan previously.
>
> But is there anyway I can create a test plan from scratch
> through ant build.

No

> I also checked the link
> http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/get-started.html#override
>
> for running Jmeter from the command line mode without the GUI.
> I also tried the following example
>
> jmeter -n -t c:\jakarta-jmeter-2.0.1\Test1.jmx -l
> c:\jakarta-jmeter-2.0.1\log1.xml
> Created the tree successfully
> Starting the test
> [Full GC 17873K->661K(249088K), 0.2706095 secs]
> Tidying up ...
> ... end of run
>
> It works fine, except for the fact that jmeter requires a jmx file.

Yes, that is what non-GUI mode needs.

> Is there anyway so that all the required information for creating a
> jmx file like - Server name IP; port number; path etc be specified
> from the command prompt itself.

You can supply these in properties if you want.

> In short I want to start the test from the scratch without going
> to the GUI. Or atleast start the GUI from Ant by passing all the
> required values through Ant without explicitly opening and working
> in the GUI.

This is not possible.

But once you have a test plan, you can provide properties via the command-line
or files etc that cause it to do different things. See the FAQ for
information on
parameterising test plans.