Posted to dev@juneau.apache.org by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> on 2017/06/10 15:47:45 UTC

Juneau dev Slack experiment failing

The juneau-dev slack experiment is failing. The channel itself is great for real-time discussions but completely fails for team collaboration and communication with the entire team. I'm just now finding out about a discussion held on slack about the juneau logo. Sad!

I've asked infra tell us how to set up slack such that *all* messages in the dev-juneau slack channel are forwarded to the apache juneau-dev mail list daily?

But more important, Slack really should be used only for information exchange that by necessity has a short shelf life. Demanding immediate action.

The apache email channel is the way the team communicates and collaborates. Before posting on Slack, please ask yourself these questions:

Can I wait an hour for a response to this message?
Is there a larger audience for this message?
Will I or anyone else ever want to see this message after next week?
Would this message thread be useful for anyone else?
Would a subject help others to find this message?

Thanks,

Craig

P.S. I've raised Issue INFRA-14322 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-14322>

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: "Slack" <no...@slack.com>
> Subject: [Slack] Notifications from the ASF team for June 10th, 2017 at 8:17 AM
> Date: June 10, 2017 at 5:17:27 AM PDT
> To: juneau-dev@apache.org
>
> Hi Dev Juneau,
>
> You have a new direct message from the ASF team
> (https://the-asf.slack.com/x-182454733285-195806234162/).
>
> ---
>
> @digestai
> View in the archives:
> https://the-asf.slack.com/x-182454733285-195806234162/archives/D5CC0L8FN/p1497096137354906
>
> Digest.AI (8:02 AM, June 10th)
> Hi Dev,
> *Here’s your digest for June 10th 2017*
> There are 36 messages yesterday, and the most active user is anu
>
> *#general*
> @anu: is it ok for me to open a slack room for quick discussions on a
> hadoop branch .. basically I wanted to create an ozone room in the
> asf-slack channel so that it is visible to community .. This is not
> incubation, hence asking for permission
>

> * * *
>
> You can snooze these notifications for
> an hour:
> https://the-asf.slack.com/unsub/U5CDCMK8D-c818330244-notify-mute-1h
> eight hours:
> https://the-asf.slack.com/unsub/U5CDCMK8D-d9d9f0c003-notify-mute-8h
> a day:
> https://the-asf.slack.com/unsub/U5CDCMK8D-8578835cf0-notify-mute-1d
> three days:
> https://the-asf.slack.com/unsub/U5CDCMK8D-06e193824b-notify-mute-3d
> or the next week:
> https://the-asf.slack.com/unsub/U5CDCMK8D-db36f45174-notify-mute-7d.
>
> You can also turn email notifications off:
> https://the-asf.slack.com/unsub/U5CDCMK8D-02b9390bdb-notify.
>
> For more detailed preferences, see your account page:
> https://the-asf.slack.com/account.

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
clr@apache.org http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: Juneau dev Slack experiment failing

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
> On Jun 10, 2017, at 8:53 AM, James Bognar <ja...@salesforce.com> wrote:
>
> Craig,
>
> I agree that the digest experiment is a failure.  My hope is that Steve is
> successful using Streams to produce better digests.
>
> Do you think it was inappropriate to have the logo discussion there?  I
> thought it was useful to carry on a conversation in real-time.

Some of my commentary (Sad!) was tongue in cheek, but...

I agree it's ok to have some of the conversation in real time. The interactions around shading, different colors, etc. seemed to be pretty intense.

But a summary could have been brought back to the list. I think some of the logo discussion would have qualified under points 2, 3, 4, 5 (annotated points below).

Logo is an especially important topic which is why I picked on it. Other projects would have created a JIRA after realizing that there was general interest in a logo. Some intense discussion on Slack could help small teams collaborate on details. Then a few of the better ideas could be uploaded to the JIRA for others to comment on.

I think all three media have value: JIRA for discussions that require a resolution; email for discussions that are of general interest to the team; Slack for intense discussions in real time.

It should always be possible to search the mail archives for important communications.

Regards,

Craig

P.S. This discussion could have been had on Slack and then it would be gone next week

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: Streams-based slack digests for asf

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Steve,

Thanks for following through on this.  I think next step, if we want to do
this is to work with infra to get the data from streams fed into the ASF
archiving systems.

And yes, the DigestAI tool is a pain.  No response from their support,
nothing.  All it does is record a few lines and send a link to the chat
system.

All,

However, archiving doesn't solve the real issue here - we need to make sure
that decision making is happening on list.  Even posting it in an archive
isn't going to do that.  So yes, I should have pointed out that we need to
finish up the logo discussions on list.

John

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Steve,

Posted by sblackmon <sb...@apache.org>.

Posted by sblackmon <sb...@apache.org>.

Posted by James Bognar <ja...@salesforce.com>.
Craig,

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 08:47:45 -0700, Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The juneau-dev slack experiment is failing. The channel itself is great for real-time discussions but completely fails for team collaboration and communication with the entire team. I'm just now finding out about a discussion held on slack about the juneau logo. Sad!

Agree that this is excluding. I had not joined the channel until now and I see
discussions that are generally useful for a mailing list, both for users of
Juneau and developers.

How can anyone without an @apache.org account sign up to the Slack chat? No documentation on this.

How can anyone follow the Slack chat without signing up at all?

How can anyone search what have already been talked about in the chat, possibly
several weeks or months ago? (That 10.000 message limit flows over very quickly
for an ASF-wide team - on the Clojure project this problem means messages
disappear after just a couple of days even in quiet channels)

Some projects have "bots" and custom registration pages for this as Slack has a
closed invite-only system.  This seems to me like a poor mans workaround - but
if ASF is to use Slack this is very needed and needs to be linked to from the
Juneau page, not just straight to the closed login page of Slack. (which tells
new people "Go away, we are a secret club")

I am not sure how the decission to use Slack was made - but I would have
thought something like Gitter with an open approach (e.g. browsable without
login, all messages archived, linkable chat messages straight on the internet,
anyone can sign up join using GitHub or Twitter credentials) would be
preferable for open source projects.

"I happen to use Slack at work" should not be a good excuse. Lots of people
also use Microsoft Exchange at work, but we don't run a closed ASF Exchange service.