Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Hendrik Maryns <qw...@sneakemail.com> on 2008/10/17 15:36:52 UTC

Treat a symbolic link as a file

Hi,

I am on Linux and regularly check in symbolic links, which works exactly
as I expect.  However, now I have a symbolic link which I would like to
be treated as if it were a file, i.e. I want svn to dereference it.  Is
this possible?  Can I set a property on it such that this happens?

H.
--
Hendrik Maryns
==================

Re: Treat a symbolic link as a file

Posted by Hendrik Maryns <qw...@sneakemail.com>.
Hendrik Maryns schreef:
> Erik Huelsmann schreef:
>> On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 5:36 PM, Hendrik Maryns
>> <qw...@sneakemail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am on Linux and regularly check in symbolic links, which works exactly
>>> as I expect.  However, now I have a symbolic link which I would like to
>>> be treated as if it were a file, i.e. I want svn to dereference it.  Is
>>> this possible?  Can I set a property on it such that this happens?
>> No. This is not possible.
>
> How about I remove the svn:special tag after the first commit?  Or
> before committing?

I ended making a hard link instead and that works fine.  It is no
problem since all other committers do not have to bother with the file,
they should just take it for granted.

H.
--
Hendrik Maryns
==================

Posted by Hendrik Maryns <qw...@sneakemail.com>.

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
<qw...@sneakemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am on Linux and regularly check in symbolic links, which works exactly
> as I expect.  However, now I have a symbolic link which I would like to
> be treated as if it were a file, i.e. I want svn to dereference it.  Is
> this possible?  Can I set a property on it such that this happens?

No. This is not possible.

Bye,

Erik.