Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Bozhong Lin <bl...@iona.com> on 2006/10/31 10:49:10 UTC

building M1 release candidate

Hi,

Most M1 TODOs have been completed so far, and I think it might be a good
time for us to build a release candidate and preview it. I am thinking
to use maven release plugin to prepare release, I tried a dry run of
"mvn release:prepare" today and it seems that the plugin works fine.
Does anyone have any concern about using maven release plugin for
managing release? It does save HUGE effort for modifying all POMs back
and forth.

Right now, there is a slight problem in our pom for running maven
release plugin. buildtools module is declared as a sub-module of cxf in
top-level pom, but it does not extend cxf module. Any reason why it is
done that way now? We either need buildtools to extend cxf or need to
define scm.connection properties in buildtools module for maven release
plugin to run properly. Right now neither "distribution" module extend
cxf module, and we probably need to fix that too for Maven plugin to run
properly.

I will probably build a release candidate for review as soon as we fix
outstanding issues and if no one expresses any concern about using maven
release plugin.

regards,
Bo

Re: building M1 release candidate

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.
I'm all for getting an M1 RC to vote on! I would like to have some of
the servlet stuff fixed up though as I think thats pretty fundamental....

- Dan

--
Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions

Re: building M1 release candidate

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.
Bo,

> Most M1 TODOs have been completed so far, and I think it might be a
> good time for us to build a release candidate and preview it. I am
> thinking to use maven release plugin to prepare release, I tried a dry
> run of "mvn release:prepare" today and it seems that the plugin works
> fine. Does anyone have any concern about using maven release plugin for
> managing release? It does save HUGE effort for modifying all POMs back
> and forth.

We do have a perl script in bin that would accomplish the same thing.
Thus, it's not a "HUGE" effort.

> Right now, there is a slight problem in our pom for running maven
> release plugin. buildtools module is declared as a sub-module of cxf in
> top-level pom, but it does not extend cxf module. Any reason why it is
> done that way now?

It has to do it that way, otherwise you get a circular dependency problem
that maven will not allow.    The "pluginManagement" section has direct
dependencies on the buildtools so the checkstyle/pmd plugins can be
properly configured.   Thus, the buildtools pom cannot specify the cxf
pom as a parent.  There are some "wacky" workarounds (tuscany came up
with one), but those workarounds are fairly complex and hard to
understand.

> We either need buildtools to extend cxf or need to
> define scm.connection properties in buildtools module for maven release
> plugin to run properly. Right now neither "distribution" module extend
> cxf module, and we probably need to fix that too for Maven plugin to
> run properly.

Adding the scm connection stuff is probably the best way to go.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer