Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Michael Ludwig <mi...@gmx.de> on 2009/02/03 00:23:43 UTC

Re: Deploy 1st Service to Tomcat proper

Toriacht schrieb am 29.01.2009 um 01:24:12 (-0800):

> When i click on the application in my Tomcat Manager page I get a HTTP
> Status 404 error telling me that my web service (requested resource)
> is not available.
>
> There is no error in the $Tomcat/logs" folder. I checked, manager,
> catalina, stdout, localhost, jakarta_service,host-manager and admin
> logs. But I could see no error.
>
> In catalina.2009.X.X.log when I start Tomcat it says it deploys the
> service. When I stop Tomcat I get a message in stdout_2009.X.X, a
> log4j error message telling me that LogManager.repositorySelector was
> null. This message is coming from my service as I used to get it
> within Eclipse before I set up Log4j correctly but I don't think this
> is the cause..

It's not clear to me what you're describing here.

Is the Tomcat you're talking about running inside your IDE? Or
standalone?

Is it possible that Log4J is improperly configured and thus not showing
you error messages?

I'd get rid of the IDE and log4j to cut down complexity. Then, you
should find error messages in the log files.

Michael Ludwig

RE: Deploy 1st Service to Tomcat proper

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Michael Ludwig [mailto:milu71@gmx.de]
> Subject: Re: Deploy 1st Service to Tomcat proper
>
> I see. So my advice was irrelevant to Tori's problem.

Not necessarily; we don't know definitively what's been done.

> I just set up Tomcat to use Log4J and got 17 MB of messages
> on startup.

Got a little light reading for tonight?

> So in that case it would probably need just the JAR in
> WEB-INF/lib, the log4j.properties or log4j.xml somewhere,
> and some coding.

Yes.  If more than that has been done, it might well be complicating things.

 - Chuck

Re: Deploy 1st Service to Tomcat proper

Posted by Michael Ludwig <mi...@gmx.de>.
Caldarale, Charles R schrieb am 02.02.2009 um 18:32:46 (-0600):
> > From: Michael Ludwig [mailto:milu71@gmx.de]
> > Subject: Re: Deploy 1st Service to Tomcat proper
> >
> > http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/extras.html
> > http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/logging.html
>
> Note that the above discusses using log4j within Tomcat itself, not
> log4j within individual webapps; the logging of Tomcat and the logging
> of webapps are separate.

I see. So my advice was irrelevant to Tori's problem.

I just set up Tomcat to use Log4J and got 17 MB of messages on startup.
Immediately returning to the status quo ante.

> If log4j is only being used in the webapp of interest (I think that's
> what Tori is doing), it won't bother Tomcat.

So in that case it would probably need just the JAR in WEB-INF/lib, the
log4j.properties or log4j.xml somewhere, and some coding.

> P.S. shatner.william?  Did Tori steal the wig as well as the e-mail
> address?

Bizarre. Identity theft becoming ever more common these days. Tori?

Michael Ludwig

RE: Deploy 1st Service to Tomcat proper

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Michael Ludwig [mailto:milu71@gmx.de]
> Subject: Re: Deploy 1st Service to Tomcat proper
>
> By default, Tomcat does not include Log4J. You have to take additional
> steps in order to get it to work. Please read the following and ensure
> you've configured your installation accordingly:
>
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/extras.html
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/logging.html

Note that the above discusses using log4j within Tomcat itself, not log4j within individual webapps; the logging of Tomcat and the logging of webapps are separate.  If log4j is only being used in the webapp of interest (I think that's what Tori is doing), it won't bother Tomcat.

 - Chuck

Posted by Michael Ludwig <mi...@gmx.de>.
Toriacht schrieb am 02.02.2009 um 15:41:17 (-0800):

> My problem is on Tomcat with NO IDE. I mentioned just the IDE to
> illustrate that the service does work. It's when I leave the IDE i
> have problems.
>
> There are NO errors in any of the logs! Catilina.log mentions that it
> is deplying the service on startup. thats it.
>
> I only mentioned the Log4j message because..
>
> 1. Its the only message getting printed  to any of the logs
> 2. I know that it is definitely coming from my web service code.

Hi Tori,

I don't know how about Log4J but I'm sure getting rid of it would
simplify things.

I don't know if it is possible for Tomcat to be misconfigured to the
point where it will not output any error messages because the error log
system itself is misconfigured. Maybe others can provide that info.

By default, Tomcat does not include Log4J. You have to take additional
steps in order to get it to work. Please read the following and ensure
you've configured your installation accordingly:

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/extras.html
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/logging.html

These documents talk about building stuff. Note that you don't have to
do that yourself, Instead, you may want to download the extra components
from one of the mirrors. The extra components are in the bin/extra
directory of the mirrors, so one level down from where the Tomcat
archives are. You'll need:

* tomcat-juli.jar
* tomcat-juli-adapters.jar

I hope this helps.

Michael Ludwig

Re: Deploy 1st Service to Tomcat proper

Posted by Toriacht <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael...

I'm sorry for the confusion. My problem is on Tomcat with NO IDE. I
mentioned just the IDE to illustrate that the service does work. It's when I
leave the IDE i have problems.

There are NO errors in any of the logs! Catilina.log mentions that it is
deplying the service on startup. thats it.

I only mentioned the Log4j message because..

1. Its the only message getting printed  to any of the logs
2. I know that it is definitely coming from my web service code.

Thanks,
Tori