Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org> on 2017/07/30 07:07:03 UTC

[VOTE] Release 1.3.2, release candidate #2

Hi everyone,

Please review and vote on the release candidate #2 for the version 1.3.2, as follows:
[ ] +1, Approve the release
[ ] -1, Do not approve the release (please provide specific comments)

The complete staging area is available for your review, which includes:
* JIRA release notes [1],
* the official Apache source release and binary convenience releases to be deployed to dist.apache.org [2], which is signed with the key with fingerprint 0xA8F4FD97121D7293 [3],
* all artifacts to be deployed to the Maven Central Repository [4],
* source code tag "release-1.3.2-rc2" [5],
* website pull request listing the new release and adding announcement blog post [6].

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours (excluding this current weekend). It is adopted by majority approval, with at least 3 PMC affirmative votes.

Please use the provided document, as discussed before, for coordinating the testing efforts: [7]

Thanks,
Aljoscha

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12315522&version=12340984
[2] http://people.apache.org/~aljoscha/flink-1.3.2-rc2/
[3] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/flink/KEYS
[4] https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheflink-1133/
[5] https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=flink.git;a=tag;h=e38825d0c8e7fe2191a4c657984d9939ed8dd0ad
[6] https://github.com/apache/flink-web/pull/75
[7] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dN9AM9FUPizIu4hTKAXJSbbAORRdrce-BqQ8AUHlOqE/edit?usp=sharing

Re: [VOTE] Release 1.3.2, release candidate #2

Posted by "Tzu-Li (Gordon) Tai" <tz...@apache.org>.
+1

1. Cluster tests
Tested with the stateful state machine job, using the following settings and variations:
- Cloud env: GCE
- Distributions: CDH 5.9.0
- Flink deployment method: YARN per-job (Hadoop 2.6.0)
- HA: both enabled & disabled
- Kerberos: enabled, keytab mode
- Kafka version: 0.9.0.1
- State Backends: Heap (Sync / Async) & RocksDB (incremental / full)
- Filesystem: HDFS (Hadoop 2.6.0)
- Externalized checkpoints: enabled & disabled

Logs also seem to be hygiene. All tests pass (state machine job processes records and does not fail).
Also verified that the job fails when using 1.3.1, with Kafka brokers deliberately shutdown on job restore due to FLINK-7195.

2. Build with Scala 2.10 successful

3. Minor new Kafka consumer commitsFailed and commitsSuccessful metric
Works nicely and can be queried in the REST API / web UI.

4. Checked README.md, LICENSE, NOTICE
Ok, but we need to remember to bring README.md up-to-date with the recent new important features (see FLINK-7353)

5. Website release announcement
Left comments on the PR, can be addressed independent of the vote.

Cheers,
Gordon

Posted by Nico Kruber <ni...@data-artisans.com>.
+-1 (non-binding)

L.1 Check if checksums and GPG files match the corresponding release files
- found an issue with a malformed flink-1.3.2-src.tgz.md5 that gnu coreutils
8.27 was not accepting - already fixed by now

L.3 Check if the source release is building properly (mvn clean verify)
- found these NON-BLOCKING issues: FLINK-6738, FLINK-7351, FLINK-7352
- also found FLINK-7354 which I could NOT get passed by (or only very rarely)
on Debian 9 without fixing: an instable unit test (may be BLOCKING when
happening this much?)

L.4 Verify the LICENSE and NOTICE files for the binary and source releases
OK

F.1 Run the start-local.sh, start-cluster.sh
OK

F.2 Examine the *.out files and the log files
OK

F.10 Run manual Tests in "flink-tests" module
(actually I looked for any ignored test in any module)
- NON-BLOCKING-ISSUE: FLINK-7355
- NON-BLOCKING-ISSUE: ChaosMonkeyITCase does not work (but removed in master)

Nico

Posted by Greg Hogan <co...@greghogan.com>.
-1

The Gelly examples jar is not included in the Scala 2.11 convenience binaries since change-scala-version.sh is not switching the hard-coded Scala version from 2.10 to 2.11 in ./flink-dist/src/main/assemblies/bin.xml. The simplest fix may be to revert FLINK-7211 and simply exclude the corresponding javadoc jar (this is only an issue in the 1.3 branch, the FLINK-7211 should be working on master). I don’t think I’ll have time to submit this tomorrow.

I would like to look into adding an end-to-end test for Gelly for the next release.

Greg

[CANCEL] [VOTE] Release 1.3.2, release candidate #2

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.
Thanks for testing everyone. Unfortunately, I have to close this vote because of the problem with the Gelly Examples jar. I'll immediately create another RC (in fact I'm already on it). I'm hoping that we can do an expedited vote on that new RC because the only change in that RC is going to be a fix for the Gelly Examples jar.

Best,
Aljoscha

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Stefan Richter <s....@data-artisans.com>.
+1

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I think FLINK-7352 is only a testing instability. We should definitely fix that but I don't think it should block the release, which has quite a few critical fixes.

Best,
Aljoscha

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.