Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by John Hudak <jo...@comcast.net> on 2005/05/06 15:13:05 UTC

[users@httpd] Is this an Apache config problem?

Hi Folks:
This one has me stumped...
My OS is RH9 running Apache 2.0.40.  I have a one page web file,
index.html, located in /var/www/html,   with the following line in it:
</FONT></P>
This is a test...<a href="http://xx.xx.xx.xx/var/www/html/my_file.pdf"
 >get it here</a>
<P align=left>
xx.xx.xx.xx is the machines IP address...the machine is connected to a
router that is configured to pass http requests on port 80.
The httpd.config file root directory is set up correctly (/var/www/html)
and is set to listen on my IP:port address.

The system serves up the page just fine, but when I click on the 'get it
here' link, I get:
Object not found...blah, blah blah...Error 404.

I have tried various versions of the line (.i.e. ftp://, file=, etc.),
and multiple browsers,  with the same response.
Apache is installed with minimal changes to html.config.  I have check
access privildges on the directories and they seem fine.  Any
Suggestions on how to make this work?
Thanks for any help/suggestions...
John

Re: [users@httpd] Is this an Apache config problem?

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 5/6/05, John Hudak <jo...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi Folks:
> This one has me stumped...
> My OS is RH9 running Apache 2.0.40.  I have a one page web file,
> index.html, located in /var/www/html,   with the following line in it:
> </FONT></P>
> This is a test...<a href="http://xx.xx.xx.xx/var/www/html/my_file.pdf"
> >get it here</a>
> <P align=left>

Apache serves files starting at the DocumentRoot.  So if your
DocumentRoot is, for example, set to /var/www/html, then you want your
link to look like <a href="http://yoursite.example.com/my_file.pdf">

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Is this an Apache config problem?

Posted by eoghan <ap...@redry.net>.
John Hudak wrote:
> Hi Folks:
> This one has me stumped...
> My OS is RH9 running Apache 2.0.40.  I have a one page web file,
> index.html, located in /var/www/html,   with the following line in it:
> </FONT></P>
> This is a test...<a href="http://xx.xx.xx.xx/var/www/html/my_file.pdf"
>  >get it here</a>
> <P align=left>
> xx.xx.xx.xx is the machines IP address...the machine is connected to a
> router that is configured to pass http requests on port 80.
> The httpd.config file root directory is set up correctly (/var/www/html)
> and is set to listen on my IP:port address.
>
> The system serves up the page just fine, but when I click on the 'get it
> here' link, I get:
> Object not found...blah, blah blah...Error 404.
>
> I have tried various versions of the line (.i.e. ftp://, file=, etc.),
> and multiple browsers,  with the same response. Apache is installed with
> minimal changes to html.config.  I have check access privildges on the
> directories and they seem fine.  Any Suggestions on how to make this work?
> Thanks for any help/suggestions...
> John

Have you tried adding pdf with AddType in your apache conf?
something like
AddType application/pdf ?
Eoghan