Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Paul McCumber <PM...@hypercom.com> on 2000/04/14 22:03:02 UTC

Remote URL

I want to build a web page dynamically with content from several other web
sites.  I need to be able to fetch the remote URL's content into variables.
How do I do that?

For starters, I just have a module that just goes and gets a URL and writes
that URL back to the browser.  Can't even get that to work.   I think the
hardest thing for me is that there is just no way to debug it.  Admittedly,
I'm new to this environment but I just getting killed.  Very easy thing to
do in ASP but I want to use Perl and Apache and Linux.

Somebody has to have done this.

Paul

RE: Remote URL

Posted by Jason Bodnar <jb...@tivoli.com>.
Take a look at Apache::ProxyStuff on CPAN. It mau already do what you want it
do and if it doesn't it'll give you an idea of how you can do what you want to
do.

--
Jason Bodnar + jbodnar@tivoli.com + Tivoli Systems

Mr. Scorpio says productivity is up 2% and it's all because of my
motivational techniques, like donuts and the possibility of more
donuts to come.

                -- Homer Simpson
                   You Only Move Twice

Re: Remote URL

Posted by "Ken Y. Clark" <kc...@boston.com>.
On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Paul McCumber wrote:

> I want to build a web page dynamically with content from several other web
> sites.  I need to be able to fetch the remote URL's content into variables.
> How do I do that?
>
> For starters, I just have a module that just goes and gets a URL and writes
> that URL back to the browser.  Can't even get that to work.   I think the
> hardest thing for me is that there is just no way to debug it.  Admittedly,
> I'm new to this environment but I just getting killed.  Very easy thing to
> do in ASP but I want to use Perl and Apache and Linux.

well, this isn't really mod_perl, just perl.  if you're having trouble
debugging (yes, mod_perl is a bit more of a challenge to debug, having to
restart your server b/w code changes, unless you use StatINC), then i'd
recommend writing your first iteration as a straight CGI script, using
"strict" and all that good stuff.  if it works properly, you could always
run it (mostly) unchanged under Apache::Registry.

for the fetching of remote web sites:  have you tried LWP?  very nice
package.

ky