Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Daniel Pono Takamori <po...@apache.org> on 2017/11/09 18:22:17 UTC

Re: Gitbox?

Gitbox would indeed allow you to have the Github tools available to
committers.  It treats Github as the canonical source (we also keep a
copy on Gitbox), which allows the PRs and issues to be a bit more
convenient (there are still some things we can't support due to the
Github's coarse permission structure).
We require all committers to use Github's 2FA [0] so once you have a
taken a vote in the project, file a ticket on the INFRA JIRA [1] and
then your committers can run through the Gitbox syncing [2] to matchup
ASF IDs and Github IDs.
Let us know if you have any other questions.

[0] - https://help.github.com/articles/providing-your-2fa-authentication-code/
[1] - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA
[2] - https://gitbox.apache.org/setup/

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 10:50 AM,  <aj...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi, I'm a committer for Jena. Recently, we had some discussion about our
> source management and there was some uncertainty about how we can arrange
> the relationship between Github and Apache git.
>
> Currently, commits go against Apache git, and Github picks them up and
> mirrors them, which is a bit annoying in that it's not possible to use the
> Github PR review machinery transparently. This is not a big deal, but is it
> in fact possible to do that? In other words, is it possible to (e.g.) merge
> PRs at Github and have Apache git pick up the change?
>
> I went to https://gitbox.apache.org/setup/ and linked my accounts, but that
> didn't seem to do anything...
>
> Thanks for any info!
>
> --
>
> ajs6f

Re: Gitbox?

Posted by aj...@apache.org.
Daniel--

We have begun to discuss this on dev@jena, and one question that immediately came up is how this plays with JIRA
integration. Currently we have a system in which any mention of any extant JIRA ticket in a Github PR starts copying the
comments in that PR over to that JIRA ticket, which is useful. Can we assume that the same integration will work the
same way if we go to "Github as canonical"?

Are there any further integrations available after choosing "Github as canonical", e.g. create-JIRA-ticket-on-PR or the
like?

Thanks for info!

ajs6f

Re: Gitbox?

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

On 12/11/17 17:48, ajs6f@apache.org wrote:
> First question, what is a [DISCUSS]? :) I assume you are talking about a
> dev@ thread with that label to discuss this possibility, but is there
> more to it than that?

That's what it is - they are a preparation for a [VOTE], both as notice
it's going to happen and getting the [VOTE} intention clear. Having the
[VOTE] turn into a discussion is unhelpful - eg early votes may be
invalidated by clarification/changes.

     Andy

Re: Gitbox?

Posted by aj...@apache.org.
Yes, I'm on this!

First question, what is a [DISCUSS]? :) I assume you are talking about a dev@ thread with that label to discuss this
possibility, but is there more to it than that?

As I understand it now, "it" is changing from our current setup, in which we act against Apache git and the results are
mirrored to Github, to the opposite direction, in which we act against Github and the results are mirrored to Apache
git. As far as PR machinery goes, an advantage that I see is that we will be able to use the complete excellent web UI
at Github. Right now, we can comment, review, etc, but when it comes time to merge, it occurs via CLI. It's true that
that isn't the end of the world, but is both clunky (as Andy notes) and error-prone (I had a annoying problem with it on
a recent PR). We would also get accurate results from Github's visualization tools, which isn't a major thing, but could
be nice.

My understanding is that such a change will have no effect at all on our current JIRA integration, but I will get that
confirmed (or disproved!) by INFRA. Going to Github issues would be a different choice, and I am not arguing for that
now. (Trying to split as much off of this as possible to keep the decision simpler!)

Bruno-- if it's not obvious, I am intentionally splitting off the question of where we maintain our site, which is a
really good thing to discuss, but think it is orthogonal.

ajs6f

Re: Gitbox?

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Re: gitpubsub

Posted by "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <br...@yahoo.com.br.INVALID>.
>Bruno (or anyone), do you know if it would be possible to publish site changes for review out of Apache CI? (Something like the way we can set up to get built artifacts from branches of the codebase without actually releasing them.)
Might be worth checking with INFRA if we request it, or even in that IRC-like channel they use (always forget its name). It would be an interesting feature.
>Is it okay with respect to Apache policy to only import the current state of the site to Git (iow to leave behind that massive accumulation of Javadocs), or do we need to maintain a complete history on whatever infrastructure we use?
As far as I can tell, it varies from components. Some release the latest javadocs, others a few past releases, others one release only. It might be useful for other users to have previous releases, but when working on projects with older versions of a library, I normally rely on Eclipse + open implementation shortcut to look at the docs.

Posted by ajs6f <aj...@apache.org>.

Re: gitpubsub

Posted by "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <br...@yahoo.com.br.INVALID>.

gitpubsub

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Re: Gitbox?

Posted by "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <br...@yahoo.com.br.INVALID>.
I'm OK with git at ASF or GitHub + gitbox (-:
However, I'm +1 for moving our site to Git.

So folks, is there interest in pursuing this rearrangement of our source management? I would certainly vote for it.

ajs6f

Daniel Pono Takamori wrote on 11/9/17 1:22 PM:
> Gitbox would indeed allow you to have the Github tools available to
> committers.  It treats Github as the canonical source (we also keep a
> copy on Gitbox), which allows the PRs and issues to be a bit more
> convenient (there are still some things we can't support due to the
> Github's coarse permission structure).
> We require all committers to use Github's 2FA [0] so once you have a
> taken a vote in the project, file a ticket on the INFRA JIRA [1] and
> then your committers can run through the Gitbox syncing [2] to matchup
> ASF IDs and Github IDs.
> Let us know if you have any other questions.
>
> [0] - https://help.github.com/articles/providing-your-2fa-authentication-code/
> [1] - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA
> [2] - https://gitbox.apache.org/setup/
>
> On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 10:50 AM,  <aj...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi, I'm a committer for Jena. Recently, we had some discussion about our
>> source management and there was some uncertainty about how we can arrange
>> the relationship between Github and Apache git.
>>
>> Currently, commits go against Apache git, and Github picks them up and
>> mirrors them, which is a bit annoying in that it's not possible to use the
>> Github PR review machinery transparently. This is not a big deal, but is it
>> in fact possible to do that? In other words, is it possible to (e.g.) merge
>> PRs at Github and have Apache git pick up the change?
>>
>> I went to https://gitbox.apache.org/setup/ and linked my accounts, but that
>> didn't seem to do anything...
>>
>> Thanks for any info!
>>
>> --