Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Duncan Findlay <du...@debian.org> on 2005/08/22 05:07:00 UTC

Wanted: Better Documentation

Certain parts of SpamAssassin's documentation are horribly out of date
and could really use some help. (For example spamd/README still
recommends people set --max-children to 20, and has numerous "FIXME"
sections.)

Since it's ofter a bit arduous to file a bug and submit a patch to
make corrections, I've put all our documentation up on the Wiki, so
it's now super easy to edit. Please go through it if you get a
chance. Periodically, we'll go through it and apply the changes to
SVN.

It's my hope that this will lead to more accurate and useful
documentation.

So, here's the link:
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/BetterDocumentation

Happy editing! We appreciate your help.

--
Duncan Findlay

Re: Wanted: Better Documentation

Posted by Duncan Findlay <du...@debian.org>.
On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 03:54:19PM -0700, Daniel Quinlan wrote:
> I doubt this will work any better than just working on it incrementally
> in SVN.

Well, I think anything that lowers the bar for submissions is going to
help somewhat. It's much more of a hassle to submit a bug report for a
minor typo as compared to going and fixing it yourself.

Now all we need to do is to throw a link into the documentation so we
can catch users as they're first reading it. Then the fixes will start
pouring in. (I'm hoping....)

I think it might be a little *more* work on me (or whoever else wants
to copy stuff over), but also will yield *more* fixes, don't you
think?

> If anyone here would like to help us work on documentation, submit some
> patches via bugzilla and if we like them, the PMC will consider giving
> you commit access.

We could do this with Wiki contributions too, just as easily; without
the Bugzilla overhead.

So to summarise: to help contribute documentation, either a) Post to
the Wiki, or b) File a bug (preferably with a patch). If we like what
you do, we'll consider giving commit access.

Posted by Duncan Findlay <du...@debian.org>.

Posted by Daniel Quinlan <qu...@pathname.com>.
Duncan Findlay <du...@debian.org> writes:

> Certain parts of SpamAssassin's documentation are horribly out of date
> and could really use some help. (For example spamd/README still
> recommends people set --max-children to 20, and has numerous "FIXME"
> sections.)
>
> Since it's ofter a bit arduous to file a bug and submit a patch to
> make corrections, I've put all our documentation up on the Wiki, so
> it's now super easy to edit. Please go through it if you get a
> chance. Periodically, we'll go through it and apply the changes to
> SVN.

Not to be a naysayer... no, sorry, that's exactly what I'm being...

I doubt this will work any better than just working on it incrementally
in SVN.

If anyone here would like to help us work on documentation, submit some
patches via bugzilla and if we like them, the PMC will consider giving
you commit access.

Daniel

--
Daniel Quinlan