Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Rahul Reddy <Ra...@match.com> on 2015/02/23 17:35:56 UTC

Question About Emitted, Transferred and Acked Bolts

Hi,

Can you guys help me understand difference between emitted, transferred and acked tuples.

In my case every tuple emitted by ablog-filter-bolt will be processed by ablog-flatten-xml-bolt which will then be written by ablog-hdfs-bolt to hdfs. Ideally all metrics for executed/acked should match after tuples are emitted from ablog-filter-bolt . I'm not sure why there is so much discrepancy in emitted/transferredacked tuple count between these bolts although it dosent show any failed tuples.

Any ideas what I can check and how to interpret metrics correctly?

Thanks
Rahul

Re: Question About Emitted, Transferred and Acked Bolts

Posted by Jason Kania <ja...@ymail.com>.
Nathan,
I only get spout failures. None of my bolts fail. Are all failures on a spout going to be associated with timeout? If not, how would one know the difference? Hence my question about whether it would be possible to track timed-out acks explicitly.
Thanks,
Jason

Posted by Nathan Leung <nc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Rose <mi...@fullcontact.com>.

Posted by Michael Rose <mi...@fullcontact.com>.

Posted by Nathan Leung <nc...@gmail.com>.
As Michael noted these values are sampled (by default) and are therefore
not precise.  If they are close to each other (within 20, possibly more
depending on your traffic) they are probably the same.  If you are really
not acking tuples (the ack value is really lower) you will see failures at
the spout increase.  In practice I cannot think of any scenario where you
would have more acks than executes in your bolt.

Posted by Shivendra Singh <SS...@walmartlabs.com>.
Hi Nathan,

Posted by Nathan Leung <nc...@gmail.com>.