Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by flangel <fr...@frankjlangel.com> on 2015/01/14 14:26:13 UTC

Which version of Karaf to use (coming from 2.3.7) ? / Upgrade info

Hi,

we are currently using 2.3.7 and like to understand which version we should
upgrade to. Our goals are as such

- very stable environment
- active developer support; bugs are being fixed in time
- we want to upgrade to a major version at most once a year

Which version should we consider ? Why are so many different versions ?
- 2.3.x --> least hazzle and stable?
- 3.0.x --> stable and good support ?

Any indications/suggestions are highly appreciated
Best
Frank

Re: Which version of Karaf to use (coming from 2.3.7) ? / Upgrade info

Posted by flangel <fr...@frankjlangel.com>.
Thanks for the feedback!

We went to 3.0.2. Reasoning
- Jetty 8 was mandatory, as it fixes security bugs
- Most stable of all other alternatives (2.4, 4.x)

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
By the way, this page might help you:

http://karaf.apache.org/index/community/releases-schedule.html

You can see there the current status of each branch.

Regards
JB

On 01/14/2015 02:26 PM, flangel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we are currently using 2.3.7 and like to understand which version we should
> upgrade to. Our goals are as such
>
> - very stable environment
> - active developer support; bugs are being fixed in time
> - we want to upgrade to a major version at most once a year
>
> Which version should we consider ? Why are so many different versions ?
> - 2.3.x --> least hazzle and stable?
> - 3.0.x --> stable and good support ?
>
> Any indications/suggestions are highly appreciated
> Best
> Frank

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Which version of Karaf to use (coming from 2.3.7) ? / Upgrade info

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Frank,

Karaf 2.3.x is in maintenance mode: it means that we don't add new
features, we don't upgrade to new version, etc. We just do minor bug
fixes, and we smoothly goes to "EndOfLive" ;)

The current stable branch is Karaf 3. It's stable and it's where we
focus our new features, enhancements and bug fixes.

I hope it helps.

Regards
JB

On 01/14/2015 02:26 PM, flangel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we are currently using 2.3.7 and like to understand which version we should
> upgrade to. Our goals are as such
>
> - very stable environment
> - active developer support; bugs are being fixed in time
> - we want to upgrade to a major version at most once a year
>
> Which version should we consider ? Why are so many different versions ?
> - 2.3.x --> least hazzle and stable?
> - 3.0.x --> stable and good support ?
>
> Any indications/suggestions are highly appreciated
> Best
> Frank

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org