Posted to general@lucene.apache.org by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org> on 2009/11/10 17:21:55 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache PyLucene 2.9.1

I am pleased to announce the availability of Apache PyLucene 2.9.1.

Apache PyLucene, a subproject of Apache Lucene, is a Python extension for
accessing Java Lucene. Its goal is to allow you to use Lucene's text
indexing and searching capabilities from Python. It is API compatible with
the latest version of Java Lucene, 2.9.1.

This release contains a number of bug fixes and improvements. Details can be
found in the changes files:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/pylucene/tags/pylucene_2_9_1/CHANGES
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/pylucene/tags/pylucene_2_9_1/jcc/CHANGES

Apache PyLucene 2.9.1 is available from the following download page:
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/lucene/pylucene/pylucene-2.9.1-1-src.tar.gz

When downloading from a mirror site, please remember to verify the downloads
using signatures found on the Apache site:
http://www.apache.org/dist/lucene/pylucene/KEYS

For more information on Apache PyLucene, visit the project home page:
     http://lucene.apache.org/pylucene

Andi..

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache PyLucene 2.9.1

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009, Helmut Jarausch wrote:

> On 10 Nov, Andi Vajda wrote:
>>
>> I am pleased to announce the availability of Apache PyLucene 2.9.1.
>>

> Thanks Andi!
>
> Unfortunately Lucence-3.0.0 breaks old scripts.
>
> E.g.
> make test
> fails with
> cd samples/LuceneInAction; PYTHONPATH=/Src/Src/Python/App/Searching/PyLucene/pylucene-build/build/test /usr/bin/python index.py
> /home/jarausch/Python/App/Searching/PyLucene/pylucene-build/samples/LuceneInAction
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "index.py", line 12, in <module>
>    False)
>  File "/Src/Src/Python/App/Searching/PyLucene/pylucene-build/samples/LuceneInAction/lia/common/TestDataDocumentHandler.py", line 29, in createIndex
>    writer = IndexWriter(indexDir, StandardAnalyzer(), True)
> lucene.InvalidArgsError: (<type 'StandardAnalyzer'>, '__init__', ())
> make: *** [samples/LuceneInAction/index] Error 1

Yes, PyLucene 3.0.0 is not ready yet (and neither is Lucene Java 3.0.0). If
you use trunk, the Lucene in Action samples remain to be ported to the new
APIs. Since there is a new edition of the book out, a refresh of these
samples is probably also necessary.

> There some changes, e.g. FSDirectory.getDirectory vanished and the call
> to IndexWriter seems to have changed, as well.
> Is there an upgrade guide?

You should be use PyLucene 2.9.1 until PyLucene 3.0.0 is out unless you want
to test a still moving target.
   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/pylucene/tags/pylucene_2_9_1/

Lucene 3.0.0 is not out yet although RC1 was just announced.

> Many thanks for a hint,

To know which APIs were changed, deprecated or removed altogether from
Lucene Java 3.0.0, please refer to the Lucene Java change lists for 2.9.1
and the upcoming 3.0.0 release.

For examples of new API in PyLucene uses you can refer to the PyLucene trunk
tests and regular samples, they have been ported already. It's just the
Lucene in Action samples that remain to be ported over.
   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/pylucene/trunk/test/
   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/pylucene/trunk/samples/
    (except LuceneInAction)

Andi..

Posted by Helmut Jarausch <ja...@igpm.rwth-aachen.de>.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache PyLucene 3.0.0

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.
I am pleased to announce the availability of Apache PyLucene 3.0.0.

Apache PyLucene - a subproject of Apache Lucene - is a Python extension for
accessing Lucene Java. Its goal is to allow you to use Lucene's text
indexing and searching capabilities from Python. It is API compatible with
the latest version of Lucene Java, version 3.0.0.

This release contains a number of bug fixes, improvements and API changes.
Lucene Java 3.0 has had all APIs deprecated in earlier releases removed.

PyLucene change details can be found in the CHANGES files:
  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/pylucene/tags/pylucene_3_0_0/CHANGES
  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/pylucene/tags/pylucene_3_0_0/jcc/CHANGES

Please, see the list of changes in Lucene Java 3.0 for more details about
changes to the Lucene 3.0 API:
  http://lucene.apache.org/java/3_0_0/changes/Changes.html

Apache PyLucene 3.0.0 is available from the following downloads page:
  http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/lucene/pylucene/pylucene-3.0.0-1-src.tar.gz

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.
On Nov 17, 2009, at 19:11, Bill Janssen <ja...@parc.com> wrote:

> So, you changed the name of the file containing patch.43, and that
> broke
> my build scripts.

Sorry, setuptools-0.6c10 needed a new version if the patch. The bug
this patches was only filed a year ago.

Andi..

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.
On Nov 17, 2009, at 19:11, Bill Janssen <ja...@parc.com> wrote:

> So, you changed the name of the file containing patch.43, and that
> broke
> my build scripts.
>
> This whole "patch setuptools" thing is extremely fragile.

Yep, it would be so simple to apply it upstream but I don't control
that.

> How about
> defaulting to NO_SHARED if you detect the absence of the patch?

Err, no. If you don't want it you can build with the USE_DISTUTILS env
var to bypass setuptools and shared mode altogether.

> Or,
> better yet, take the patched code from setuptools to do the shared
> library thing, and move it into JCC proper, so that you don't have to
> rely on setuptools being there in some correct but nonstandard
> configuration to build the shared libraries?

You're the second to suggest this but this would be just as brittle as
the code this patches isn't exactly documented as stable.

If you can propose a sane patch implementing your idea you would also
make Jeff Breidenbach who has been shepherding JCC into Debian happy.

Andi..