Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by ad...@mathstar.com on 2007/07/03 20:38:20 UTC

bundle commit messages at merge

Hello,

  I've been looking for a while for a way to bundle commit messages from
a branch to trunk at merge, but I haven't been able to find a solution.
I was wondering if anyone has been able to solve this with a script, or
if there is a fundamental issue that makes this hard ( ie. related to
merge tracking).  To be clear, what I want is to have the option, at
merge, to copy all the commit messages in the merge range to trunk.  The
reason for this is that all of the developers in my group work on
branches and put details about commits there.  But when merging, none of
us take the time to go back and transcribe all of these messages by
hand.  This makes it impossible to tell what happened on trunk by
looking at the messages there.

Anyway, I would appreciate it if anyone has pointers for information
about how to do this.

Thanks,

adam

Re: bundle commit messages at merge

Posted by deckrider <de...@gmail.com>.
On 7/3/07, adam.cabler@mathstar.com <ad...@mathstar.com> wrote:
> Thanks.  I checked this out at one point, but had a few problems with
> it.  One things I forgot to mention was that I was hoping for something
> server-side since most of us are on windows and using tortoise atm.

Hmmm ... personally I would not like server side merges as it would
afford me no opportunity to see if the merge broke the build or the
existing functionality before I committed it.

Anyway, I think svnmerge.py just needs python and a windows svn.exe.
But all I can say from experience is that it works great in our unix
environment ...

Posted by ad...@mathstar.com.

Posted by deckrider <de...@gmail.com>.