Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Lucas Bruand <lb...@wanadoo.fr> on 2003/07/17 22:50:31 UTC

Announcement: Just4log, a performance-oriented postprocessor for Log4j

	Hello,

	I wanted to advertise Just4log (http://just4log.sf.net/), a apache-licensed project that's highly related to Log4j:

   In the Log4j manual, Ceki Gülcü speaks about the "The method invocation involves the "hidden" cost of parameter construction."
( refer to http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/manual.html
section "Logging performance when logging is turned off")

	That led me to the thought that a postprocessor acting on the bytecode would be interesting to write. (a preprocessor is definitely not java) Dada, Just4log was born: it is a anttask that transforms the bytecode to remove the hidden cost of parameter construction.

	Just4log uses Jakarta BCEL to operate on the bytecode.

	Do not hesitate to mail me any question regarding this project.
	Cheers,
	Lucas

PS: Is it possible to reference Just4log on the Log4j website ?

Just4log
http://just4log.sf.net/

Re: Announcement: Just4log, a performance-oriented postprocessor for Log4j

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
At 12:11 AM 7/22/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 15:52:33 +0200
>Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch> wrote:
>

> > At 07:48 PM 7/20/2003 +0200, Lucas Bruand wrote:
> > >At the very least, it is a heavy argument against people who think that
> > >Logging is a "retro" method to debug and claim that logging is hindering
> > >performance in Java... ( Probably preaching on this list is not very
> > >useful but you'll be surprised how often you hear this kind of thin)
> >
> > Logging maybe retro but its survives the life span of the application.
> > Application logging is analogous to fossils. Fossils are certainly retro
> > but it is the only way to learn about life forms long gone.
>
>I completely agree with you... Some people think that given a debugger and
>the description of the problem, one should be able to reconstitute the
>whole process. Obviously this is true only in theory but it is somehow
>trendy for some decision makers...
>Still, there is nothing like a well written logfile to debug a program...

Running a debugger when developing the application is quite different
than running one at deployment time. When you deploy an application
and it crashes, it is helpful to know what happened before the
crash. AFAIK, no one uses a debugger at deployment time.

I guess that is the reason why airplanes have a black box and
not a debugger. :-)

       ISBN: 2970036908  http://www.qos.ch/shop/products/clm_t.jsp

Re: Announcement: Just4log, a performance-oriented postprocessor for Log4j

Posted by Lucas Bruand <lb...@wanadoo.fr>.

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.

Posted by Lucas Bruand <lb...@wanadoo.fr>.
	Thanks a lot for your answer, Ceki, Mark, Serge...

	I just hope it will prove to be useful to people. If it is used by people, I am probably gonna go on developping it.
At the very least, it is a heavy argument against people who think that Logging is a "retro" method to debug and claim that logging is hindering performance in Java... ( Probably preaching on this list is not very useful but you'll be surprised how often you hear this kind of thing)

	By the way, if anyone has "reallife" performance statistics availiable, I'll be insterested to put them on the website...

	Cheers,
	Lucas

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
Added the link.

Posted by Serge Huber <sh...@jahia.com>.
Wow this sound great... I hope it does at least get referenced from the
Log4J website... I am definitely interested in testing this with my code.

Regards,
   Serge Huber.

At 10:50 PM 7/17/2003 +0200, you wrote:

>         Hello,
>
>         I wanted to advertise Just4log (http://just4log.sf.net/), a
> apache-licensed project that's highly related to Log4j:
>
>    In the Log4j manual, Ceki Gülcü speaks about the "The method
> invocation involves the "hidden" cost of parameter construction."
>( refer to http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/manual.html
>section "Logging performance when logging is turned off")
>
>         That led me to the thought that a postprocessor acting on the
> bytecode would be interesting to write. (a preprocessor is definitely not
> java) Dada, Just4log was born: it is a anttask that transforms the
> bytecode to remove the hidden cost of parameter construction.
>
>         Just4log uses Jakarta BCEL to operate on the bytecode.
>
>         Do not hesitate to mail me any question regarding this project.
>         Cheers,
>         Lucas
>
>PS: Is it possible to reference Just4log on the Log4j website ?
>
>Just4log
>http://just4log.sf.net/

- -- --- -----=[ serge.huber at jahia dot com ]=---- --- -- -
Jahia : A collaborative source CMS and Portal Server
www.jahia.org Community and product web site
www.jahia.com Commercial services company