Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Paul Phillips <pa...@partitura.com> on 2002/10/03 01:25:40 UTC

jdbc realm fails to authenticate sometimes

Hello all

I am running Tomcat 4.1.10 and using a jdbc realm with mysql.  It is setup
accordingto the docs on the jakarta web site.  (At least I think it is!)

The entry in my server.xml file looks like this:

<Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm" debug="99"
      driverName="org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver"
   connectionURL="jdbc:mysql://localhost/authority"
   connectionName="me" connectionPassword="mypassword"
       userTable="users" userNameCol="user_name" userCredCol="user_pass"
   userRoleTable="user_roles" roleNameCol="role_name"/>

I am finding occasional authentication failures that always follow the
same pattern.I say occasional in that often the authentication works perfectly well.

When it doesn't this is what happens...
1) user tries to authenticate (typing very carefully the username and
password),tomcat throws error, sending user to error.jsp page.
2) Sometimes, on second attempt, authentication works, and user is allowed
accessto webapp.
3) However, sometimes on second attempt, Tomcat throws a null pointer
exception.If the user simply presses retry (on the browser) at that point, he/she is
allowedaccess to the application!  So, in this case, somehow the authentication
is takingplace on the second attempt, but an exception is being thrown somewhere...

I was wondering if this had something to do with the 8 hour disconnect of
mysql, andI added:
autoreconnect=true
to the URL above, but that didn't seem to fix the problem.

This is driving users of my webapp nuts (as you can imagine).  Does anyone
haveany ideas of where to look, or what I can do to avoid this?

Thanks
Paul Phillips