Posted to modproxy-dev@apache.org by "Overdijk, Harrie" <ov...@ecn.nl> on 2001/04/18 16:47:03 UTC

Timeout problem in modproxy for Apache 1.3.2 ??

Hello,

I think this is the right place for my question, if not
please tell me.

I have a Compaq Tru64 Unix (formerly Digital Unix) system
on a Alpha version 4.0E which is running Apache 1.3.2 with
the mod_proxy module. This module is used to guide external
www-users to an internal system. It worked well for years,
but now I am facing a problem that users can't upload a
2.5 MB file (via a cgi-procedure) to the internal system
via mod_proxy. I found that the connection terminates at
5 minutes and a few seconds. I found the Timeout directive
command set to 300 seconds (default)... The documentation
of this command tells me:

 -----8<----------8<----------8<-----

The TimeOut directive currently defines the amount of time Apache will wait
for three things:
	The total amount of time it takes to receive a GET request.
	The amount of time between receipt of TCP packets on a POST or PUT
request.
	The amount of time between ACKs on transmissions of TCP packets in
We plan on making these separately configurable at some point down the road.
The timer used to default to 1200 before 1.2, but has been lowered to 300
which is still far more than necessary in most situations. It is not set any
lower by default because there may still be odd places in the code where the
timer is not reset when a packet is sent.

 -----8<----------8<----------8<-----

Is mod_proxy of Apache 1.3.2 one of these odd places by chance?
When I increased the time-out value, the problem was gone (for
the moment).

Do you happen to know in which version of Apache this problem
is solved? I also get complains about the performance of mod_proxy.
is the performance also improved in a next version?

Thank you in advance for an answer!

Yours sincerely,
                Harrie Overdijk

Harrie Overdijk, ECN, Postbox 1, 1755 ZG  Petten (NH), The Netherlands.
Internet: overdijk@ecn.nl              Noisenet: +31 224 56 4597
Homenet : h.overdijk@hccnet.nl         FAXnet  : +31 224 56 8864
ICP/Postmaster/UseNet-News-manager/WWW-manager/Security-manager of ECN.

Re: Timeout problem in modproxy for Apache 1.3.2 ??

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
"Overdijk, Harrie" wrote:

> Is mod_proxy of Apache 1.3.2 one of these odd places by chance?
> When I increased the time-out value, the problem was gone (for
> the moment).

Apache v1.3.2 is really old - there have been a large number of fixes to
the proxy since then. Try upgrading the server to v1.3.19 and see what a
difference that makes.

There is also a patch available at
http://dev.apache.org/dist/patches/apply_to_1.3.19/
which will upgrade the proxy code to a HTTP/1.1 proxy, which is more
efficient in terms of caching.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street
						tonight..."

Re: Timeout problem in modproxy for Apache 1.3.2 ??

Posted by Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>.
On Wednesday, April 18, 2001, at 10:47 AM, Overdijk, Harrie wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I think this is the right place for my question, if not
> please tell me.

Besides setting TimeOut to a higher value, have you considered upgrading?
1.3.2 is pretty old.

Chuck Murcko
Topsail Group
http://www.topsail.org/