Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Alfredo Vega Ramírez <al...@vertice.cu> on 2015/11/13 17:14:56 UTC

HELP!!!!

Greetings, I'm new using Solr. I have problem to create a client
application. As I do, if I need to use frameworks, or Solr has a way to
create client applications.

RE: HELP!!!!

Posted by Mark Horninger <mh...@grayhairsoftware.com>.
It depends on what you want to do with it.  There are tons of ways to skin the proverbial cat, and it all depends on what you want to do with it.  You really need to start by learning the very basics of Solr, and then move forward from there.  Once you understand Solr, you must also understand your data at least in a limited fashion.  You will need to use that understanding in order to make the correct decisions around your schema design, as well as the correct query engine.

Only then should you attempt to write a client application for Solr, otherwise you are guaranteed failure.

--Mark H.

Greetings, I'm new using Solr. I have problem to create a client application. As I do, if I need to use frameworks, or Solr has a way to create client applications.

[GrayHair]
GHS Confidentiality Notice

This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution of this information is prohibited, and may be punishable by law. If this was sent to you in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

GrayHair Software <http://www.grayhairSoftware.com>

Re: HELP!!!!

Posted by Alfredo Vega Ramírez <al...@vertice.cu>.

Re: HELP!!!!

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
Welcome to the Solr world.

Yes, usually you use a client application. If you are working in Java,
you use SolrJ or you can look into Spring Data. For other languages,
there are libraries too. You can see a reasonable list at:
https://wiki.apache.org/solr/IntegratingSolr . Be aware that not all
clients support all the latest features of Solr.

You do not want to expose Solr directly to the clients, so no
Javascript talking directly to Solr in production (unless you really,
really know what you are doing).

To learn Solr itself, do the examples, check out the books (e.g. Solr
in Action).

Once you are past the absolutely basics, you will have much more
detailed questions to ask.

Regards,
   Alex.
----
Solr Analyzers, Tokenizers, Filters, URPs and even a newsletter:
http://www.solr-start.com/