Posted to dev@lucy.apache.org by Nick Wellnhofer <we...@aevum.de> on 2018/05/03 12:38:42 UTC

Re: [lucy-dev] [RFC] Moving Lucy to the Apache Attic

On 25/04/2018 16:48, Peter Karman wrote:
> While Apache Lucy has been an active project with maintenance releases for
> several years, the Project Management Committee (PMC) which governs the
> project within the Apache organization has not grown in that time. One of the
> indicators of the project's health is whether it attracts new committers and
> new leaders over time. Apache Lucy has not.

Besides, we only have three active PMC members which is the absolute minimum
to vote on new releases. I've also been the only active committer for the last
~2 years.

> Should we dissolve the PMC and move the project to the Attic? Should we
> continue on as we are?

I don't have the motivation to continue my work on a 0.7 release. Without
active committers, I think it's clear that the PMC should eventually be
dissolved. So it's mainly a question of when. Personally, I wouldn't mind to
wait about 6 months, make a final bugfix release if any issues with the 0.6
branch come up, then move to the Attic at the end of 2018. OTOH, I don't
expect any major issues, so we could move to the Attic right now, especially
if you or Marvin want to step down earlier.

Nick

Re: [lucy-dev] [RFC] Moving Lucy to the Apache Attic

Posted by Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com>.
Nick Wellnhofer wrote on 5/3/18 7:38 AM:
> On 25/04/2018 16:48, Peter Karman wrote:
>> While Apache Lucy has been an active project with maintenance releases for
>> several years, the Project Management Committee (PMC) which governs the
>> project within the Apache organization has not grown in that time. One of the
>> indicators of the project's health is whether it attracts new committers and
>> new leaders over time. Apache Lucy has not.
>
> Besides, we only have three active PMC members which is the absolute minimum to
> vote on new releases. I've also been the only active committer for the last ~2
> years.
>
>> Should we dissolve the PMC and move the project to the Attic? Should we
>> continue on as we are?
>
> I don't have the motivation to continue my work on a 0.7 release. Without active
> committers, I think it's clear that the PMC should eventually be dissolved. So
> it's mainly a question of when. Personally, I wouldn't mind to wait about 6
> months, make a final bugfix release if any issues with the 0.6 branch come up,
> then move to the Attic at the end of 2018. OTOH, I don't expect any major
> issues, so we could move to the Attic right now, especially if you or Marvin
> want to step down earlier.

Thanks, Nick.

Given the relative silence on this thread, I think the time has come.

I will start a VOTE thread per the Attic page.

pek

--
Peter Karman  .  he/him/his  .  785.337.0405  .  https://karpet.github.io/