Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu> on 2006/07/10 21:00:17 UTC

Geronimo 1.1 JARs in Maven 2 Repo

Since we don't necessarily plan on converting Geronimo 1.1.x to Maven
2, can we post the 1.1 JARs in a Maven 2 repo somewhere, with a
structure corresponding to the new 1.2/Maven 2 group IDs (o.a.g.*) but
no POMs?

That would help with building plugins using Maven 2 against the 1.1
JARs (such as kernel, system, etc.).  At least if you put in an
explicit dependency in your plugin POM it should be able to pull the
JARs for you.  (And of course they're only needed at compile time
since they'll be pulled in via parent module dependencies at runtime.)

If no one has any better idea, maybe I'll post them on my
people.apache.org for now.  But if we can agree to post them to the
Maven 2 repo at iBiblio that would be great.

Thanks,
     Aaron

Re: Geronimo 1.1 JARs in Maven 2 Repo

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
Aaron Mulder wrote:
> On 7/11/06, Donald Woods <dr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> The Geronimo Eclipse Plug-in build uses Maven 2 and depends on the v4
>> POMs to load the Geronimo dependencies correctly....
>
> OK, perhaps I should try to do the same thing that's being done there.
> I'll check it out.

If you discover some kind of magic to get this to work, I would be
interested in hearing about it.  Good luck!

Regards,
Alan

Re: Re: Geronimo 1.1 JARs in Maven 2 Repo

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
Ok.  But Aaron's proposal of copying the jars into an m2 repo would not
also help, right?

Regards,
Alan

Posted by Donald Woods <dr...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
On 7/11/06, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I think it should use "geronimo"  I think otherwise we will get into
> trouble later on when transitive dependencies become available.  If
> we clearly distinguish real m2 jars from m1 built jars accessed
> through m2 I think we will have fewer upgrade problems.

I'm OK with this if that's what most people prefer, but I hope
everyone on the thread will chip in with their preferred group ID.

However, I don't see what the problem is that you're referring to.
Let's say you have a project using M1-built Geronimo 1.1 JARs, and you
later change your project to use the M1-built Geronimo 1.1.1 JARs and
then still later the M2-built Geronimo 1.2 JARs.  On that last step,
your build will bring down POMs and some transitive dependencies in
addition to the JARs explicitly listed.  What's the problem and where
does it happen?

Thanks,
    Aaron

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
OK.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
On 7/11/06, Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> wrote:
> I agree it should use "geronimo", since that is the groupId used for
> the bulk of the m1 build.

OK.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
Aaron Mulder wrote:
> On 7/11/06, Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> wrote:
>> I'd recommend that projects using m2 wait for G 1.2, which will
>> hopefully be sooner rather than later.
>
> Too late.  For example, the Quartz plugin (already available on the
> plugin repo) uses G 1.1 and Maven 2.  I've been copying JARs around by
> hand, which is annoying, and why I want to solve this.  There are more
> people getting involved in developing plugins, and it's hard to
> recommend Maven 1 and hard to recommend file copying (and *extra* hard
> to recommend waiting for Geronimo 1.2, given the current velocity).

You shouldn't need to hand copy M1 jars into an M2 repository.  If the
repository declaration is correctly set up, Maven 2 will use the M1 jars
in an M1 repository.

>> If a project is using m2 and can't wait for G 1.2, then it should
>> setup a legacy repo and use the m1 artifacts.
>
> OK, that's fine, but should it use the groupId "geronimo" or
> "org.apache.geronimo.modules" when referring to, e.g.,
> geronimo-kernel?
The groupId geronimo refers to the m1 jars and
org.apache.geronimo.modules will refer to the m2 jars.

Regards,
Alan

Re: Geronimo 1.1 JARs in Maven 2 Repo

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
I'd recommend that projects using m2 wait for G 1.2, which will
hopefully be sooner rather than later.

I don't think it is a good idea for m1 projects to publish to m2
repositories (unless the Maven team comes up with a supported plugin
to do so).

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
> I sure hope we manage to change the groupIds to org.apache.geronimo
> before anything gets released.

I think that this should be done when we are ready to reorganize the
1.2 tree for m2... and probably not before.

--jason

Re: Geronimo 1.1 JARs in Maven 2 Repo

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

> On 7/10/06, Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
>> Maven 1 repos can be used from Maven 2.
>
> I didn't know that.
>
>>  Why would we need to post maven
>> 1 jars into a maven 2 repository?
>
> Well, if you're creating a Maven 2 project now, and you use the group
> ID "geronimo", you know this is going to have to change as soon as 1.2
> is released.  It might be nice to be able to go ahead and use the new
> Geronimo 1.2/Maven 2 group IDs like "org.apache.geronimo.modules" for
> 1.1 as that would stay valid for 1.2 and beyond.  So if we put the 1.1
> JARs in a Maven 2 repo with the group ID "org.apache.geronimo.modules"
> then any Geronimo-using POMs written today could be
> forward-compatible.
>
> What do you think?

I sure hope we manage to change the groupIds to org.apache.geronimo
before anything gets released.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.