Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org> on 2009/11/06 03:04:31 UTC

Re: Proposed bylaws for the Hadoop project (was: [VOTE])

I think Bernd's prediction has come true: it's no longer clear what
form of the bylaws we're voting on. Quick summary:

Proposed, uncontroversial (or at least seconded) modifications to the original:
* Change "3 business days" to "1 week" for votes
* Change "Developer" to "Contributor"
* Change "Lazy approval then lazy consensus" to simply "Lazy
consensus" for source modifications
* Add "testing" and "bug reports" to explicit forms of contributions from Users

Still open/vague:
* State changes to/from emeritus status for committers and PMC members
  * Inactive status for 6 months vs 1 year
  * Vote of the PMC required to restore status to a) Committer b) PMC
* Definition of "adopt a new codebase"
* When to close a vote that has been vetoed

---

I agree with Dhruba's definition of "new codebase" as it concerns
contrib and second Konstantin's interpretation requiring a 2/3 vote of
the PMC for new subprojects.

Concerning vetoes: the advantages to restarting the vote would be to
explicitly reassert its content (as in this thread) or to notify those
who withheld their objections because they were redundant for the
outcome. I don't know if it needs to be written into the bylaws, but a
few days after a veto has been recanted (assuming its premise wasn't
mistaken) seems appropriate to me. The context matters a great deal,
so I hope we can trust in the discretion of the person who called the
vote.

Restoring a committer/PMC member from emeritus should always require a
vote, with the same rules as those new to the role. Asking the person
after an unexplained, idle 6 months and- on request- extending the
grace period to 12 before automatically moving them sounds fair. That
leaves "no response" as a reasonable criterion for moving an inactive
member, so decisions are not blocked for lapses in participation. -C

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.
Sent from the wrong address. -C