Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Akila Ravihansa Perera <ra...@wso2.com> on 2015/12/07 16:14:49 UTC

Validate member status when undeploying an appication

Hi,

Stratos fails to terminate a spawned instance if an application is deployed
and undeployed immediately. The reason is when executing the terminate
method, CC will fail if the member's instance id is null. There is a
possibility that instance id could be null since it takes some time to
return the jclouds call to spawn an instance and member context to be
updated with instance id.

As a fix for this we can do a validation at SM side. It should check the
topology and make sure all members in the app to be undeployed are already
initialized (i.e. should not be in CREATED status). I've created a JIRA to
track this task at [1].

I've implemented the proposed fix with PR at [2]. I've also created a unit
test [3] to validate this. Please have a look.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STRATOS-1641
[2] https://github.com/apache/stratos/pull/501
[3]
https://github.com/ravihansa3000/stratos/blob/99e4dcfe834af129dc7f9b2c8334f71f13d55636/components/org.apache.stratos.rest.endpoint/src/test/java/org/apache/stratos/rest/endpoint/test/UndeployApplicationTest.java

Thanks.

--
Akila Ravihansa Perera
WSO2 Inc.;  http://wso2.com/

Blog: http://ravihansa3000.blogspot.com

Re: Validate member status when undeploying an appication

Posted by Gayan Gunarathne <ga...@wso2.com>.
Great work Akila.

Is this test to perform the assert of member initialized or not?

Thanks,
Gayan

On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 8:44 PM, Akila Ravihansa Perera <ra...@wso2.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Stratos fails to terminate a spawned instance if an application is
> deployed and undeployed immediately. The reason is when executing the
> terminate method, CC will fail if the member's instance id is null. There
> is a possibility that instance id could be null since it takes some time to
> return the jclouds call to spawn an instance and member context to be
> updated with instance id.
>
> As a fix for this we can do a validation at SM side. It should check the
> topology and make sure all members in the app to be undeployed are already
> initialized (i.e. should not be in CREATED status). I've created a JIRA to
> track this task at [1].
>
> I've implemented the proposed fix with PR at [2]. I've also created a unit
> test [3] to validate this. Please have a look.
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STRATOS-1641
> [2] https://github.com/apache/stratos/pull/501
> [3]
> https://github.com/ravihansa3000/stratos/blob/99e4dcfe834af129dc7f9b2c8334f71f13d55636/components/org.apache.stratos.rest.endpoint/src/test/java/org/apache/stratos/rest/endpoint/test/UndeployApplicationTest.java
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Akila Ravihansa Perera
> WSO2 Inc.;  http://wso2.com/