Posted to docs-dev@perl.apache.org by Thomas Klausner <do...@zsi.at> on 2002/06/04 20:35:54 UTC

patch: Download Docs

Hi!

In download/docs, the shell is represented by
  ai%

The attached patch removes the "ai" part to conform with the style guidlines.

That is, I thought it should be "%". But in admin/style.pod, the opposite is
stated, i.e.
  ai% ls -l

So what's correct?

I'll vote for
  %

--
 D_OMM      +---->  http://domm.zsi.at <-----+
 O_xyderkes |       neu:  Arbeitsplatz       |

Re: patch: Download Docs

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.
At 20:47 04.06.2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>Thomas Klausner wrote:
>>Hi!
>>In download/docs, the shell is represented by
>>   ai%
>>
>>The attached patch removes the "ai" part to conform with the style guidlines.
>>That is, I thought it should be "%". But in admin/style.pod, the opposite is
>>stated, i.e.   ai% ls -l
>>So what's correct?
>>I'll vote for   %
>
>I'd prefer to have some short prefix in prompt.
>
>   %
>
>   works fine, but not
>
>   #

Hadn't thought about that one. However, something like
    root#
should work in that case.

For %, there's no necessity. (it's kind of obvious when commands are being
run anyway)

>If there is a strong opinion not to use this kind of prompt we can change
>it. Of course in either case we should be consistent, which is not the
>case now.

It'll be hard to be completely consistent. We'll have to patch as we go.

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be

Re: patch: Download Docs

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Ask Bjoern Hansen wrote:

> I prefer not having any prompt to make cut'n'paste easier.

I agree with Ask, but... that's pretty much out of question, given my
experience with the guide, too many users think the command lines are
actually code or something else. So there should be a clear (documented)
difference between code and prompts.

So far more people in favor of single char prompts. Plus I agree with
Bill that sometimes it helps to show which dir you are inside complex
install scenarios or similar situations.

Folks, remember that I've been doing the guide for 3.5 years, and what
I'm saying is based solely on the questions I had to answer in those
years, otherwise I agree with you all. Just remember that not all
readers of the docs are as advanced as you :)

You'd laugh, but there were a few times when some readers couldn't make
the example code work, because they've copy-n-pasted the header:

   file:foo.pl
   -----------
   #!/usr/bin/perl ...
   # some code

into the script as is (including the first two lines, or only the second
line).

Re: patch: Download Docs

Posted by Ask Bjoern Hansen <as...@develooper.com>.

ask bjoern hansen, http://ask.netcetera.dk/   !try; do();

Re: patch: Download Docs

Posted by Bill Moseley <mo...@hank.org>.
At 03:30 AM 06/05/02 +0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
>this looks much nicer:
>
>   ai% perl Makefile.PL ...
>   ai% make
>   ai# make install

I'd rather see

    stas%

Then you don't have to wonder what ai is, plus you will get more hits on
google. ;)

What I really like is an example of what directory might be expected.
Makes things real clear.

   ~/mod_perl-1.xx> perl Makefile.PL

But that takes up too much space.

--
Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org

Re: patch: Download Docs

Posted by Thomas Klausner <do...@zsi.at>.
Hi!

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 09:54:46PM +0200, Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
> [...]
what about
  user% perl Makefile.PL
  user% make
  root# make install

> But, well, I don't
> care much about it, as long as we document it clearly and use it consistently.
A quick search on "ai" turned up 5 hits, all in donwload/docs.pod (dito a
grep on src, but here admin/style.pod is also included)

I couldn't find anything meaningfull with '#'. (A lot of comments, and no
hit for 'ai#')

So we'll need to add quite a few 'ai's (or whatever) anyway.

But we should definitly add whatever we'll choose somewhere to the docs.
maybe help/help_with_site.pod ?

Or we add style.pod somewhere, as someone suggested a while ago..

Re: patch: Download Docs

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.
At 21:42 04.06.2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>>>that's not good. consider:
>>>
>>>   % perl Makefile.PL ...
>>>   % make
>>>   root# make install
>>>
>>>this looks much nicer:
>>>
>>>   ai% perl Makefile.PL ...
>>>   ai% make
>>>   ai# make install
>>
>>Root prompts are pretty uncommon. And the fact is, we're already using %
>>without the ai. Let's keep it that way, huh?
>
>It's not about commonality, it's about preventing from user getting confused
>and ask clueless questions on the list.
>
>The fact that we are already using % without ai% on some page doesn't help
>this discussion at all.

Well, I have never seen any questions about that kind of thing. "ai" sounds
pretty weird to me anyway, and might confuse even more. But, well, I don't

Re: patch: Download Docs

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Re: patch: Download Docs

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.

Re: patch: Download Docs

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Re: patch: Download Docs

Posted by Thomas Klausner <do...@zsi.at>.
Hi!

Re: patch: Download Docs

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Thomas Klausner wrote:
> Hi!
>
> In download/docs, the shell is represented by
>   ai%
>
> The attached patch removes the "ai" part to conform with the style guidlines.
>
> That is, I thought it should be "%". But in admin/style.pod, the opposite is
> stated, i.e.
>   ai% ls -l
>
> So what's correct?
>
> I'll vote for
>   %

I'd prefer to have some short prefix in prompt.

   %

   works fine, but not

   #

when you want to indicate that the shell is running under root, because
some people think it's a comment (and some get confused with % too).
Therefore:

   ai% test
   ai# test

are less confusing. Hence the note in the style guide.

I wasn't sure which prompt to use, so it'll be short and cool, so for a
time being I've used 'ai'.

Re: patch: Download Docs

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.
At 20:35 04.06.2002, Thomas Klausner wrote:
>Hi!
>
>In download/docs, the shell is represented by
>   ai%
>
>The attached patch removes the "ai" part to conform with the style guidlines.

Thanks Thomas, applied.

>That is, I thought it should be "%". But in admin/style.pod, the opposite is
>stated, i.e.
>   ai% ls -l
>
>So what's correct?
>
>I'll vote for
>   %

+1. It's what's used throughout the docs.

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be