Posted to user@xmlbeans.apache.org by Cezar Andrei <ce...@oracle.com> on 2014/08/01 18:10:33 UTC

Re: Wrong namespace prefix in generated documents?

If you don't provide a prefix, XmlBeans will automatically pick a
prefix, and it tries to pick one that is part of the URI.

Cezar

Posted by Michael Bishop <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Peter and thanks for the explanation. It's been awhile; I've been on
vacation for a week.

Anyway, I tried what you said about the XPath expressions and it looks like
you're correct. I'm using the Java core XPath libraries and the prefix I
set in an instance of NamespaceContext is what dictates how the expression
is evaluated. So two documents:
<xxx:root xmlns:xxx="a"/> and <yyy:root xmlns:yyy="a"/> can both be
successfully queried with "//xxx:root" as long as the NamespaceContext
object maps the "xxx" prefix to the "a" namespace. In short, the
NamespaceContext for the XPath statement takes precedence and the prefixes
in the document are not significant.

Our project produces both a file specification and an application that
helps create specification compliant documents. However, someone could
create their own document outside of the application and use whatever
prefix they wish. So we have to accept different prefixes; a scenario I did
not consider previously.

Our application also exposes APIs and allows users to create plugins, so
they would be able to access the XMLBeans-generated classes directly. We'd
have mismatching prefixes if we used XmlOptions for output that a plugin
developer did not.

Your explanation has helped me understand these issues and when/why
prefixes are/aren't significant and I've been able to write unit tests to
demonstrate the understood behavior.

FWIW, the reason I'm using the Java core libraries for XPath is because I
can't get XMLBeans to do it correctly inside the NetBeans platform.
XMLBeans can't find supporting libraries across module dependencies due to
class path issues; each module has its own class path and XMLBeans only
checks it's own.

Michael

Posted by Peter Keller <pk...@globalphasing.com>.
Hi Michael,

Posted by Michael Bishop <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Peter,

[...]

namespace. Like a lot of other applications (Word, Excel, etc.), our files
reside "in memory" until they are saved. So a new document would carry the
wrong prefix until it was saved. Even after it was saved, it would have to
be reloaded by the application to have the correct prefix "in-memory." Our
application also has the ability to digitally sign documents. Signing one
prefix, then saving another causes the signature to break.

So the options are starting to look like this:
1. Figure out why XMLBeans doesn't honor my xmlns:... declarations.
2. Change the namespace URN to start with the desired prefix. Obviously,
this is a workaround.
3. Use the new prefix and change everything else to suit.

So I guess my first question (in this email at least) is does XMLBeans ever
try to honor xmlns prefix declarations? If so, what's wrong with the schema
I posted that causes this not to happen? Can anyone get the schema I

Posted by Peter Keller <pk...@globalphasing.com>.
Hi Michael,

Posted by Michael Bishop <bi...@gmail.com>.
OK, here is a test schema: