Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by joeldg <jo...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/08 20:23:38 UTC

network of brokers - behavior does not seem right.

Hi, somewhat new to activemq, but have been reading up on it a LOT
I have a question regarding how network of brokers share messages when a new
broker is discovered and inserted into the network.

For instance:
I have brokerA up and running for days with many subscribers and consumers,
then I have a second broker that comes up and it does not automatically get
access to "all" of the subscribers and brokers, but slowly they are added in
only as new messages come in.

Is this the expected behavior or am I doing something wrong? How can I get a
full replication of everything currently on the first activemq server on the
new broker?

Right now my activemq.xml's are configured with the following:

<broker persistent="false" brokerName="Messaging_Broker1"
xmlns="http://activemq.org/config/1.0" dataDirectory="${activem
q.base}/data">
<transportConnector name="tcp" uri="tcp://activemq01:61616"
discoveryUri="multicast://default"/>
<networkConnector name="activemq network"
uri="static://(tcp://activemq01:61616,tcp://activemq02:61616)"/>

obviously change activemq01 to activemq02 for the secondary server.

We connect to it from Java via
cluster.serverUrl=failover:(tcp://activemq01:61616,tcp://activemq02:61616)?jms.useAsyncSend=true&jms.copyMessageOnSend=false

Any help would be appreciated as I am trying to not have a single point of
failure on a very busy site and am in need of very good failover.

Thanks again
-Joel De Gan

Re: network of brokers - behavior does not seem right.

Posted by Dejan Bosanac <de...@nighttale.net>.
Hi Joel,

that's exactly how network of brokers should work. Messages from one broker
are forwarded to another only if there are consumers for that message on
another broker.

What you need for your high-availability requirements is some kind of
master-slave configuration. You can find available options here:
http://activemq.apache.org/masterslave.html

Cheers
--
Dejan Bosanac