Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io> on 2011/11/22 19:51:17 UTC

[VOTE] rename callback to cordova

The subject says it all. If we're going to change it sooner is better.
We had rough consensus for Cordova in earlier threads so lets make it
official.

+1

Re: [VOTE] rename callback to cordova

Posted by Ben Plowman <be...@gmail.com>.
+1

Callback was quite generic. Cordova I can get behind. :-)

Posted by Patrick Mueller <pm...@gmail.com>.
+1 to Cordova with a 'v'

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org

Re: [VOTE] rename callback to cordova

Posted by Becky Gibson <gi...@gmail.com>.
-1 to avoid the renaming hassle

Posted by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>.
Si +1

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Viras <vi...@users.sourceforge.net>.
Cordova sounds fine to me (thought not sure if my vote even counts ;)).

Cordoba just reminds me to much of 1978 (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlauX42iLy8 ).
Sadly we (as in Austrian people) still have to celebrate that happening ;).

Best,
Wolfgang

GOFG - Get On Fat Guy
http://www.gofg.at/ - powered by PhoneGap

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] rename callback to cordova

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 11:43 PM, Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io> wrote:
> The community has approved a rename of the incubation project to Cordova.

Good that we have a decision on this!

Just to double check (I might have missed this in earlier discussion,
sorry if I did): Have we verified that "Cordova" meets all (or at
least most of) the criteria in
http://apache.org/dev/project-names.html?

> Mentors: is the next step to contact infrastructure?

Depends on the specific tasks. Here's a quick (and possibly
incomplete) list of places to update:

* Incubator bookkeeping (projects.html, etc.), which can be updated at
least by us mentors and possibly also by any committer (I'm not sure
what the latest access settings are, there was recent discussion about
opening up the rights).

* Mailing lists. This needs to be filed as an INFRA request like
INFRA-4043 [1]. To avoid having the issue be just about renaming
callback-{dev,commits,private} to cordova-{dev,commits,private} (which
infra might find a bit annoying since they just recently set up the
callback lists), we should take the opportunity to also update the set
of list moderators. See [2] for the moderator responsibilities. It's
typically a good idea to have around three moderators per list,
preferably from different time zones. Any volunteers?

* Issue tracker. You should all have admin access to change the name
and other details of the CB project in Jira, but I don't believe the
"CB" key itself can be easily changed. We may need to create a new
Jira project and move all existing issues there. But see my followup
email on issue tracking before we make any decisions here.

* Version control. The Callback name is used in both
github.com/callback and svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/callback.
The latter is easy enough to change and not really used much but the
former may be a bit trickier. If we do get a chance to start hosting
the canonical Git repositories at Apache infra sooner rather than
later, then that might be the best time to rename them.

* Web site. We still don't have a http://incubator.apache.org/callback
site to update, so we can simply set up the site directly with the new
name. I've been a bit blocked on getting started on this (see
INFRA-4045 [3]). Anyone willing to help and/or take over? We also
should make sure that other sites that reference Apache Callback get
updated accordingly.

* Code & Docs. I assume not too much of the codebase and related
documentation was yet updated to refer to Callback instead of
PhoneGap. We should now target Cordova instead.

[2] http://www.apache.org/dev/committers.html#mail-moderate

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by eduardo pelegri-llopart <pe...@calterra.com>.

Posted by Ben Plowman <be...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by eduardo pelegri-llopart <pe...@calterra.com>.

Posted by Michael Brooks <mi...@michaelbrooks.ca>.
Cordova is in reference to Cordova Street [1] in Vancouver, BC. It is the
street that Brian lives on and the street of the former Nitobi office
(where PhoneGap was born). It's also the name of a set of build scripts [2]
that are gradually finding their way into each PhoneGap (callback) project.

[1] http://g.co/maps/4qsgm
[2] https://github.com/brianleroux/Cordova/

Michael

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@adobe.com>.
I meant cordova with a V. No A

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@adobe.com>.
+1 cardova

Posted by "RUDD, Brett" <br...@gmail.com>.
i vote for cordova

-Brett**

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ben Plowman <be...@gmail.com>.
Maybe Brian LeRoux can shed some light on the origin of the proposed name
for those of us who weren't around during the earlier discussion? If it is
supposed to be named after the city, then it makes much more sense to spell
it Cordoba with a "b", however, it's possible there was some other reason
for using Cordova with a "v".

Posted by Ryan Willoughby <Ry...@adobe.com>.
+1

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.
+1 for Cordova.

Posted by Michael Brooks <mi...@michaelbrooks.ca>.
+1 to Cordova with a 'v'

Posted by Andrew Lunny <al...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.
So just to confirm: there is 0% chance for WebKeg?