Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Marlier, Ian" <ma...@studentuniverse.com> on 2004/07/06 23:50:04 UTC

[users@httpd] Fustrating problem with 2.0.48/SuSE Linux

I've installed apache/2.0.48 from the SuSE Linux RPM distribution, and
it is running fine.  The server is configured fully, and displays the
proper pages.  With one exception.  It won't display the index page for
a directory (say, index.html), saying instead that the directory doesn't
exist.  Explicitly naming the index page (that is, accessing
http://xxxx.server.com/index.html instead of just
http://xxxx.server.com/ ) allows access without fail or error.

Thoughts warmly welcomed.

Some relevant settings:
# have to place corresponding `LoadModule' lines at this location so the
# LoadModule foo_module modules/mod_foo.so
LoadModule access_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_access.so
LoadModule actions_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_actions.so
LoadModule alias_module            /usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_alias.so
#LoadModule auth_module            /usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_auth.so
#LoadModule auth_dbm_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_auth_dbm.so
LoadModule autoindex_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_autoindex.so
LoadModule cgi_module              /usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_cgi.so
LoadModule dir_module              /usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_dir.so
LoadModule env_module              /usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_env.so
#LoadModule expires_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_expires.so
LoadModule include_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_include.so
LoadModule info_module             /usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_info.so
LoadModule log_config_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_log_config.so
LoadModule mime_module             /usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_mime.so
LoadModule negotiation_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_negotiation.so
LoadModule perl_module             /usr/lib/apache2/mod_perl.so
LoadModule php4_module             /usr/lib/apache2-prefork/libphp4.so
#LoadModule rewrite_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_rewrite.so
LoadModule setenvif_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_setenvif.so
#LoadModule ssl_module             /usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_ssl.so
LoadModule status_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_status.so
#LoadModule suexec_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_suexec.so
#LoadModule userdir_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_userdir.so
LoadModule usertrack_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_usertrack.so

DocumentRoot "/opt/rt3/share/html"

<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
</Directory>

<Directory "/opt/rt3/share/html">
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

#UserDir public_html

#<Directory /home/*/public_html>
#    AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit Indexes
#    Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
#    <Limit GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
#        Order allow,deny
#        Allow from all
#    </Limit>
#    <LimitExcept GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
#        Order deny,allow
#        Deny from all
#    </LimitExcept>
#</Directory>
DirectoryIndex index.html index.html.var index.php index.php3 index.cgi

<Directory "/srv/www/perl-lib">
    AllowOverride None
    Options None
    Order allow,deny
    Deny from all
</Directory>

<IfModule mod_perl.c>
    PerlRequire "/etc/apache2/mod_perl-startup.pl"
    PerlRequire "/opt/rt3/bin/webmux.pl"

    ScriptAlias /perl/ "/srv/www/cgi-bin/"
    <Location /perl/>
        # mod_perl mode
        SetHandler perl-script
        PerlResponseHandler ModPerl::Registry
        PerlOptions +ParseHeaders
        Options +ExecCGI
    </Location>

    ScriptAlias /cgi-perl/ "/srv/www/cgi-bin/"
    <Location /cgi-perl>
        # perl cgi mode
        SetHandler  perl-script
        PerlResponseHandler ModPerl::PerlRun
        PerlOptions +ParseHeaders
        Options +ExecCGI
    </Location>

<Location />
        SetHandler perl-script
        PerlHandler RT::Mason
</Location>
</IfModule>

Re: [users@httpd] Fustrating problem with 2.0.48/SuSE Linux

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 17:50:04 -0400, Marlier, Ian
<ma...@studentuniverse.com> wrote:
> I've installed apache/2.0.48 from the SuSE Linux RPM distribution, and
> it is running fine.  The server is configured fully, and displays the
> proper pages.  With one exception.  It won't display the index page for
> a directory (say, index.html), saying instead that the directory doesn't
> exist.  Explicitly naming the index page (that is, accessing
> http://xxxx.server.com/index.html instead of just
> http://xxxx.server.com/ ) allows access without fail or error.

The first thing to check is your DirectoryIndex directive.

But you are also running mod_perl on all requests, so this may be some
perl-specific thing.  For that, you might have better luck asking on
the mod_perl users list.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Fustrating problem with 2.0.48/SuSE Linux

Posted by Jim Maul <jm...@elih.org>.
Quoting "Marlier, Ian" <ma...@studentuniverse.com>:

> I've installed apache/2.0.48 from the SuSE Linux RPM distribution, and
> it is running fine.  The server is configured fully, and displays the
> proper pages.  With one exception.  It won't display the index page for
> a directory (say, index.html), saying instead that the directory doesn't
> exist.  Explicitly naming the index page (that is, accessing
> http://xxxx.server.com/index.html instead of just
> http://xxxx.server.com/ ) allows access without fail or error.

I see that you have the correct DirectoryIndex in the httpd.conf but it doesnt
appear to be working correctly.

DirectoryIndex index.html index.html.var index.php index.php3 index.cgi

Should work just fine however.  What does your apache error log say the
problem
is?  Is the index page really called index.html or is it something else not
listed in the DirectoryIndex directive?  Does index.php work or index.php3?

Jim