Posted to dev@impala.apache.org by Lars Volker <lv...@cloudera.com> on 2017/03/23 13:26:30 UTC

Target Version/s vs Target Version

I noticed that new JIRAs can have values for both "Target Version/s"
(plural) and "Target Version" (singular). Is there a preference for
populating one over the other? Can we get rid of one?

The plural one only has 13 issues using it: Relevant JIRA Search
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20impala%20and%20cf%5B12312820%5D%20is%20not%20null>

I manually fixed the only two issues that had the plural set and an empty
singular field. Is there a way to disable the "Target Version/s" field for
Impala? There seem to be two, the 13 issues are using the one ending in
820.

[image: Inline image 1]

Cheers, Lars

Re: Target Version/s vs Target Version

Posted by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com>.
I think it's fine to switch to the plural if that helps the ASF INFRA
people out in some way.

Re: Target Version/s vs Target Version

Posted by Lars Volker <lv...@cloudera.com>.
The fields have been removed and only "Target Version" shows up in the
"Create" dialog. However we're the only project using this field and infra
asked in the JIRA whether we'd be willing to switch to using "Target
Version/s":

However I'd like to ask - we have a 'Target Verison/s' already that 407
> projects use, you are the only project using the 'Target Version' - would
> you consider migrating to the most used one so we have only one such field
> in our Jira instance?

I don't feel strongly about this. What are your thoughts?

Posted by Lars Volker <lv...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Lars Volker <lv...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Silvius Rus <sr...@cloudera.com>.
On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 6:26 AM, Lars Volker <lv...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> I noticed that new JIRAs can have values for both "Target Version/s"
> (plural) and "Target Version" (singular). Is there a preference for
> populating one over the other?

There are 2665 issues with "Target Version" set and 13 with "Target
Version/s" set.  It looks like "Target Version/s" is a mistake for Impala
issues.  Also, there are two different custom fields both named "Target
Version/s", so using it would be very error prone.

> I manually fixed the only two issues that had the plural set and an empty
> singular field. Is there a way to disable the "Target Version/s" field for
> Impala? There seem to be two, the 13 issues are using the one ending in
> 820.

I don't know if there's a way to disable a custom field for a project.
Bharath, Jim, do you know?

Unless someone objects, I'm going to remove all references to "Target
Version/s" from Impala JIRAs.  Lars, Joe, Michael, Tim, David, Alex, you
have such JIRAs.  Please avoid using "Target Version/s" in the future.

Re: Target Version/s vs Target Version

Posted by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com>.
dev@ doesn't allow images, I think.

I think there is likely a way to disable this, but I don't think we have
the auths. You might try filing an INFRA ticket.